feeding the young

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Diane

On my way to tthe aviary tonight to do bedcheck.....lowering the blind and turning on the heatlamp, I could hear baby gouldians calling the way they do when they are being fed. When I looked instead of one of the parents there was one of the juveniles in the box. I was surprised and the youngster shot out of the box that fast I didnt get to check the leg band so I dont know who it was.

Any problems with this youngster popping in and out?
Babies in nest are 2 weeks old and well fed (guess with 3 birds feeding them Im lucky they dont explode!)

Youngsters are one and two months old
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

havent had problems caused by juveniles poking their heads into nests. the only time the adults seemed to mind was when they were just starting the clutch of eggs, didnt let any other bird near it.
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
GregH

I haven't noticed previous broods feeding young in the nest but I've seen some weird interspecies feeding instigated by by persistant chicks. The strangest and messiest was a fledgling red-brow being fed by a diamond dove and of more recent times a star finch feeding a gouldian. Such are the joys of a mixed aviary.
gomer

usually the parents dont let previous young back in the nest,when they have a succesive clutch,from what i have seen.they chase them away when too inquisitive.I would remove the offending bird if you have the room.Asumming it has been fledged for a minimun of four weeks.If you have no other room theres not much you can do,but see how they go.good luck.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Diane

With this young bird and my Gouldian Cuckoo (see other topics) it has galvinised my breeding boxes program.......untill they are finished there isnt much I can do
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Breeding Finches”