New to Canaries!

Canary

Jono

I have copied my eggfood recipe from an earlier post.

My egg food mix is:
1 hard boiled egg mashed up with a fork to mix the yolk and white fully.
3 arrowroot biscuits crumbled fine
2 tablespoons Farex dry baby food - original multigrain
1 tablespoon Glucose.
1/4 (quarter) teaspoon of multivitamin (I use D3 Vita) (I mix up 3 times teh quantity, that is 3 eggs with 1/4 teaspoon of multivitamin)
Egg food.jpg
I always make at night after dinner, then mix it all together and leave in the fridge overnight ready to feed to the birds in the morning as early as possible.

When feeding to chicks I only put enough in for a 5 hour period and replace at 12-1pm and then a small quantity between 5-6pm. Always throw out any left over, and do not leave with the birds at night (as at first light in the morning the hen will be feeding to the chicks).

When the fledglings leave the nest and are eating themself, I put some maw seed on top and it tends to encourage them to pick at it, and gets them onto hard seed.

It is also just as important to provide sprouted seed, which is thoroughly washed out each morning and night. I leave mine on the water heater, and the heat helps the seed to sprout. Make sure that it is clean and has not gone sour before feeding to your birds. I have mine in a square glass jar with my wifes old stockings over the top, held on with a rubber band and that way it can be thoroughly rinsed. Soak the seed in water for 24 hours, washing morning and night. Then drain the seed and put the jar on the water heater on its side with the seed evenly spread out in the jar. Continue to rinse morning and night, until the sprouts are the required length.
sprouting seed mix.jpg
soaking seed 24 hours.jpg
seed sprouting 60 hours.jpg
Has worked for me for years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Canary I don't know if you have seen it but there is a fool proof way of sprouting seeds so no more problems of going off (I now do it this way) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xdo4XkExes
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Canary

Thanks for that. I had not seen the video before. It certainly looks easy.

How much does the Virkson S cost?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Canary wrote:Thanks for that. I had not seen the video before. It certainly looks easy.

How much does the Virkson S cost?
Buy it of Gomer on here I got heaps enough to last till its use by date
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Zeddy

Hey vette being in QLD do you find the humid conditions effects sprouting seeds much?
I am in townsville and I had heard alot of horror stories about it but I guess with Virkson S the risk would be alot lower
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Zeddy wrote:Hey vette being in QLD do you find the humid conditions effects sprouting seeds much?
I am in townsville and I had heard alot of horror stories about it but I guess with Virkson S the risk would be alot lower
Using Virkon S sprouting seeds I no longer have any problems with humidity.... :thumbup:

Return to “Canaries”