Hybrid/Mutation

Myzomela

As I have stated before, the NSW licensing authority's view is that "hybrids are not condoned", or words to that effect, rather than being illegal.
Hence, they only have themselves to blame!!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
firetail555

One would like to think so, but until the Northern states dont make it illegal to breed hybrids, they are unlikely to stick there noses in there. As many of us as possible should post notices on Petlink for one warning others not to waste money on hybrids. Tell them they are often infertile so they wont be able to breed with them and these birds are just "mongrels"
firetail555

I just posted this on Petlink

Beware of the Hybrid sold as a "rare breed" or "first time offered". A "Galatiel" is just a hybrid and not a species at all. Dont get caught paying $2,500 for something not worth ten cents.

If we all post one like this every time a hybrid comes up on the adds, at least we may stop some unsuspecting person from getting caught
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They need to make a rule and enforce it .
I can barely tolerate the hybrids from exotics but when I see native hybrids I want to cry especially those on the threatened list .
NPWS seem to care when you contact them but then you never hear from them again . There appears to be no care after the complaint has been put into the system . :thumbdown:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
TomDeGraaff

I am considering running some ads in the glossies. If anyone has some ideas, I would be keen to hear. Also, Myzomela, I would like you to read something I have. Can you check your pms pls :)
maz

for an advert what about something like
You wouldn't accept this (show some weird mammal hybrid there are a few of them around) or this (another example) so why accept this ( photos of some of the hybrid birds).....STOP HYBRIDS NOW before it's too late. Please don't pay high prices for hybrid birds that are simply a novelty!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wouldn't use the word novelty. People see noveltys as good. Try "Don't get caught paying big money for abnormalitys" Abmormal is negative. And something about problems have arrisen in dog breeds where a fast buck has been put ahead of the animals welfare. Is this to be the fate of our birds? Would not hurt either. Language can be used, no "nice" words, all negative ones. Mutations are our friend, they encourage people to get involved in a mostly posative way. Hybrids are our enemy, they take away from the breeding stock, and alter the natural order of things.
LML
LML
arthur

Myzomela wrote:As I have stated before, the NSW licensing authority's view is that "hybrids are not condoned", or words to that effect, rather than being illegal.
Hence, they only have themselves to blame!!
Be careful what you wish for . .

The extract below is taken from our Qld 'guidelines'

A person who holds a permit to keep protected wildlife is not permitted to breed a protected animal kept under the permit, other than a protected bird, unless the holder has the chief executive’s written approval to breed the animal.

Where the holder of a permit to keep protected wildlife is lawfully entitled to breed a protected animal kept under the permit, the holder must not breed a mutation or hybrid of the animal.

I am neither a QC nor SC, but my interpretation of the passage is that . . because of a poorly drafted rule . . it is illegal in the 'smart state' to breed hybrids AND mutations :wtf:

The really sad bit is, that the person who actually did put the edict into place, probably doesn't know that mutations and hybrids are different :? . . .

Many fauna officers don't :wave:
BlackCobra

If we make it illegal to breed hybrids we will have to kill any that are accidentally bred, like me I bred 2 hybrids accidentally, that's not too bad with 52 years of breeding, but even with me, I know for sure my red strawbs & my orange breast were true pairs as they were breeding but somehow I got a hybrid, if we made it illegal then any accidental hybrid would have to be killed straight away so you cant get caught with it, rather than put in in your holding cage to live out its life.
But I do think there should be some way to stop the people doing it on purpose.
Myzomela

I think the point should be that deliberate breeding of hybrids should be illegal.
ie If you are found to have deliberately set up hybrid prs. This would be easy for parrots but more difficult for mixed flock finches.
I have never stated that said hybrid birds should be destroyed.
Now those that deliberately breed them...that's a different matter!!!!!! ;)
Research; evaluate;observe;act

Return to “Parrots”