Hybrid/Mutation

desertbirds

Are we forgetting Strawberry Finches, Aberdeens, possibly Orange breasts, lots of Blue Caps and go in a different direction pure Goulds, Painteds and the humble zeb.Finch world is not so far removed from hybrids and mutations. :oops:
TomDeGraaff

Gosh, when you look at the things we have lost in finches due to crossing subspecies! Green singers (large?). I must say I have struck Aberdeens off my wish list because I doubt the intentions of some who have them. Blue-caps, it is said, were injected with cordon blood. I like to think that isn't true but....

Mutations in the gene pools need watching too but that's for a different thread, I think.

Finchos are not all saints !!
TomDeGraaff

If anyone is interested in some (ancient) history on this topic:

De Graaff, Tom (1987) Recent Developments in Aviculture A Cause for Concern Australian Aviculture

Sindel, Stan (1988) My Thoughts and Concerns for Aviculture and Aviculturists Australian Aviculture

Cheers
BlackCobra

At least the hybrids off most finches end up being mules/infertile, we would be in big trouble if they wernt.
TomDeGraaff

FYI the galah X cockatiels (2 handreared birds) are being offered by Berkshire Bird Farm.

Offers less than $2500 are not being considered. They are also staging a "Galatiel Day" !!!

I have emailed whoever it is to offer my views on the subject for their future reference!

If you pm me I can put you in touch with the Berkshire Bird Farm re the birds. I would like to think that if enough people discourage this practice, then it might sink in.
Anyway, it's my soapbox and I promise I won't involve anyone else!!!! :)
Myzomela

Others have also e-mailed this place and were told to redirect their concern to something useful- like exterminating cane toads!!

Moron!!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
TomDeGraaff

I repeat the name:
Berkshire Bird Farm

Berkshire as in pig
maz

Many an internet war has been started over these birds, they really don't see that they are doing anything wrong and are actually proud of their "acheivement" (I may or may not have been involved in said internet arguements lol)
Netsurfer

BlackCobra wrote:At least the hybrids off most finches end up being mules/infertile, we would be in big trouble if they wernt.
I can't see how this justifies to hybridize or condone what these people are doing!
maz wrote:Many an internet war has been started over these birds, they really don't see that they are doing anything wrong and are actually proud of their "acheivement" (I may or may not have been involved in said internet arguements lol)
Exactly, I believe you are talking about the European and South American Aviculture. Firstly, it's the ignorance and second is the money. Up to recently some mutations were priced twice as much or more then the normal bird, they flooded the market to the point that the prices dropped and now it's difficult to find some of the species in their pure form. Hybridization, especially those of carduelan species are passed on from generation to generation since the twenties apparently as being good songsters, nowadays there are canary varieties they can't beat, but as I said when the ignorance sets in, it just goes on and on. I just hope this does not take off in Australia. Anyhow, those people are so ignorant they have no consideration for the wild life, maintaining nor saving any species, or any considerations for the species we still have in Aviculture so why support them?
Diane

With regard to the Berkshire Bird Farm, I noticed on one page they say they are a "National Parks and Wildlife fauna dealer". If this is true wouldnt the said authority be against such practices?
http://www.berkshireparkbirdfarm.com.au/birds.html
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Parrots”