pale juvenile star

Includes Species Profile.
mattymeischke

I dunno what it is, it just showed up.
It could be an Isabel, I suppose, or it could conceivably be a hybrid, though that seems unlikely....

It shares and aviary with paints, bloods, redbrows, double bars and some less likely birds.
I've seen both of it's parents feeding it, so they seem to think it's theirs.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
desertbirds

mattymeischke wrote:I dunno what it is, it just showed up.
It could be an Isabel, I suppose, or it could conceivably be a hybrid, though that seems unlikely....

It shares and aviary with paints, bloods, redbrows, double bars and some less likely birds.
I've seen both of it's parents feeding it, so they seem to think it's theirs.
I dont think its a hybrid. Parents, as in the male gender would probably feed it anyway, we`re just good like that . :silent: :lol:
COUNTRY CAPITAL

interesting bird matty :thumbup: thanks for the updates.
seems to be a pale star mutation to me, maybe a dilute?
also hard to rule out a possible hybrid, could cross with a crimson or redbrow.i have had a fire finch x zebra occur in a holding flight so anythings possible.
they appear healthy, happy finches so good luck with them.
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looking very pretty. Dilute possibly. Thanks for keeping us in the info loop.
LML
LML
mattymeischke

finchbreeder wrote:Thanks for keeping us in the info loop.
LML
I'm pleased y'all are interested.
COUNTRY CAPITAL wrote:hard to rule out a possible hybrid, could cross with a crimson or redbrow
....though it shows no intermediate features, so I think it is unlikely. Always a possibility in the mixed aviary.
COUNTRY CAPITAL wrote:they appear healthy, happy finches
Thanks.
crocnshas wrote:I like mutations but i don't know about that one,sorry
I don't much like keeping mutations (though I have no issue with people who do), and am gradually getting rid of them. The yellow stars are the last mutant finches (canaries excluded) I know of in my collection, and they are going soon. Funnily enough, last time I was going to purge mutants I got the yellow redbrow. Now, my 'normal' red stars have thrown this one, even as I plan to get rid of the yellow ones....
desertbirds wrote:I dont think its a hybrid. Parents, as in the male gender would probably feed it anyway, we`re just good like that
You are a funny bastard, db; I suppose paternity is always uncertain but maternity can never be.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
mattymeischke

Well, I've got three now, another one jumped out last week.

Three clutches from this pair this season, total 11 birds produced: 5 visually normal cocks, 3 visually normal hens and 3 pale hens.
They look identical to the Isabel star finch pictured on p.135 of Vriends & Heming-Vriends' "Hancock House encyclopedia of estrildid finches".
It seems to be sex-linked from the ratios above.
That would imply that the cocks have a 50% chance of being split to Isabel.

They are not strikingly different, but they are quite pretty with the lighter backs, and I imagine that a mutation enthusiast would be interested in combining this with other mutations.
I am not especially into mutations myself, nor do I hate them, but I keep getting these odd birds.
Perhaps mick's right about a toxic waste dump....

Has anyone else got any pale-bodied stars?
It seems possible that my birds have thrown a mutation spontaneously, but it is quite subtle and I imagine it could be easily missed.
The pink on their tails is very lovely, and in the sun the lighter bodies sparkle.
I'll try to get some good photos of a fully-coloured one in the next few days.
Last edited by mattymeischke on 29 Apr 2013, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
Tiaris

The Jan photos are looking a bit like a young hen Yellow-bodied (Cinnamon + Fawn) to me. Could be bred from normal phenotype parents if hen is split fawn & cock is split fawn and cinnamon.
mattymeischke

I'll get an updated photo up soon.
They are not brightly coloured, so I had thought it was unlikely to be yellow-bodied.
These are bred from petshop stock I got a few years ago, so it is plausible that they are carrying unsuspected splits.
They haven't thrown any fawns or cinnamons yet, though, that I have noticed.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very pretty from the most recent photos. And if only females, more likely to be some form of sex linked gene. So Dads a keeper for anyone (yourself or if you sell) wanting to breed this mutation. Thing to do to be sure would be put Dad to another hen and attempt to get 1/2 sisters and brothers. Looking forward to the update pics.
LML
LML
mattymeischke

Newer photos:
pale star in the sun.jpg
pale star in the sun 2.jpg
pale star with parents.jpg
The pair with leg rings have produced the three pale mutants.
The latest pale juvenile is trying to hide under the termite bowl....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Star”