Pale faced Zeb

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Finchy wrote:Cheek patches and flank markings almost always match. There's no named mutation other than Dilute Blue that this bird is close to, so I would use that as a working theory for now, but more in a moment...

The interesting thing is that Dilute Blue is a dominant mutation, meaning that you would have seen it before in your flock and quite frequently. Even recessive genes would be expected to show up more than you've seen. So I wonder if it's a truly spontaneous mutation - the starting point for all mutations. Maybe.

Also unusual is how dark the grey is, and that the lines between the black lines on its chest are white like a normal Grey, rather than blue-grey like a Dilute Blue's chest markings. That's another reason to wonder if it's actually some kind of one-off 'Normal Grey with Peach Cheek Patches' mutation!

If you pair it with a normal Grey (new blood/not from your flock) you will know whether the mutation behaves like Dilute Blue because some of the offspring will show the same colouring. If only normal Greys are produced theny you know it's some kind of recessive gene.

Interesting.... not been a mutation breeder ...wouldn't you pair it to its mother first so if it is a one off (in case something unforseen befell it) you may have others to work with?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Finchy

vettepilot_6 wrote: Interesting.... not been a mutation breeder ...wouldn't you pair it to its mother first so if it is a one off (in case something unforseen befell it) you may have others to work with?
Very good point - something could happen to it. However, such close inbreeding is dangerous at the best of times; something may end up befalling all of their offspring because the gene pool would be much too small. Just look at pedigree dog breeds that originated from 2 or 4 ancestors; it causes problem after problem and is just not worth it over the long haul.

But, your point is a good one, so I would suggest to just encourage the same pair who produced this little lad to keep having babies! Most pairings are stable so chances are that they will eventually produce a matching sibling or two. Then all of those birds can be outcrossed, forming a foundation population of a reasonable size.

Strong lines of mutations are far better established gradually, meaning great patience, rather than rushing for fun or for profit.
Finchy

Oh, that wasn't a reference to your beautiful dog BTW! I didn't even notice his handsome face there :). I'm sure you know what I mean, though.
wayno.fuller

Thanks for the replies people may seek and outside hen to set up in their own enclosure and see what happens.
I started with six pairs three years ago, have added 6 new pairs including a white hen and 2 pairs of charcoals ( Charcols and greys make cracker off spring) I would have tagged and sold over hundred youngsters all fully coloured up and he is the only one of his kind in an aviary with 50 odd zebs ???
wayno.fuller

Thanks for the replies people may seek and outside hen to set up in their own enclosure and see what happens.
I started with six pairs three years ago, have added 6 new pairs including a white hen and 2 pairs of charcoals ( Charcols and greys make cracker off spring) I would have tagged and sold over hundred youngsters all fully coloured up and he is the only one of his kind in an aviary with 50 odd zebs ???
wayno.fuller

finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hmm. Maybe I am mistaken, but I thought dilute was recessive?? And I would also encourage further breeding from the parents, and then rest them and without hesitation put the bird back to it's mum unless one or both of them look weak. Then put the results to completely unrelated birds. But I have only been doing this with anything a bit different I want more of for 20 odd years so??
LML
LML

Return to “Mutation Finches”