Do parrots understand what they are saying?

findi

Does your parrot know what it's saying? Yes, according to this study...please post your thoughts http://bitly.com/YscCSA
arthur

Yes . .

Not conclusive proof, but my wife had a few ways of calling out the dog's name depending on whether she was calling it to feed or scolding it for whatever reason, etc

Whenever the dog barked the Eckie hen would give a pretty good imitation of the 'scolding' voice

There were other examples of using words in their right context, but was a while ago and can't recall details exactly

And of course there are too many stories about the parrot and the parson for them all to be fiction
findi

arthur wrote:Yes . .

Not conclusive proof, but my wife had a few ways of calling out the dog's name depending on whether she was calling it to feed or scolding it for whatever reason, etc

Whenever the dog barked the Eckie hen would give a pretty good imitation of the 'scolding' voice

There were other examples of using words in their right context, but was a while ago and can't recall details exactly

And of course there are too many stories about the parrot and the parson for them all to be fiction
Thanks - Well said! ..and very interesting concerning the different voices, something to it I'm sure, Best, Frank
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a habit of calling loved ones *censored* head ....kelsie the purple crown even though not a bird that is known for talking calls people the same thing ... with a smile of course . :D
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
maz

I had a galah years ago that we used to take everywhere, she certainly knew a lot of what she said, every morning she would wake up and run into the bathroom yelling out "shower shower" because she always had a shower with us, but the best example I remember was taking her with us to the mechanics one day and as the car went up on the hoist in this puzzled/amazed tone of voice she looked at me and said "Up" she actually related the car going up on the hoist with the action and word we said to her when we picked her up.
findi

jusdeb wrote:I have a habit of calling loved ones *censored* head ....kelsie the purple crown even though not a bird that is known for talking calls people the same thing ... with a smile of course . :D

Good one, thank you!
findi

maz wrote:I had a galah years ago that we used to take everywhere, she certainly knew a lot of what she said, every morning she would wake up and run into the bathroom yelling out "shower shower" because she always had a shower with us, but the best example I remember was taking her with us to the mechanics one day and as the car went up on the hoist in this puzzled/amazed tone of voice she looked at me and said "Up" she actually related the car going up on the hoist with the action and word we said to her when we picked her up.
Very interesting , thanks. Associating shower with the word is a good example of what the article was referring to, concerning context. Even more so re the concept of "up"...would be very useful to follow up on that, if you ever have the chance with another bird... please keep me posted, best, Frank
maz

findi wrote:
Very interesting , thanks. Associating shower with the word is a good example of what the article was referring to, concerning context. Even more so re the concept of "up"...would be very useful to follow up on that, if you ever have the chance with another bird... please keep me posted, best, Frank
I have another galah now as well as a very vocal rainbow lorikeet, the problem isn't so much when they use words in context it's more I'm so used to it that I need to remember to comment on it or write it down (I'm always having conversations with the birds).....I'll start keeping better records of all the silly things my parrots do/say in future lol
BlackCobra

jusdeb wrote:I have a habit of calling loved ones *censored* head ....kelsie the purple crown even though not a bird that is known for talking calls people the same thing ... with a smile of course . :D
If this is what you call people you love, I hate to think what you call ones you don't, LOL
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't even try and imagine BCobra lol ..It isn't pleasant ..
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent

Return to “Parrots”