lavender finches

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Are there any Lavender finches in australia. If so what price are they fetching, the only reason I ask is that some one over here is asking for them on gumtree.

1) I am not sure if we can keep them here in WA as I cant see them on the declared list.

2) Are the numbers to low to even look...

Pete
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sadly I think they are another finch that has or soon will be gone in Oz....unless others know something I don't :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
roma9009

they are on bird care price says 2500. don't know there situation some were imported in the 90s but I don't think they faired well.may be lucky and some are still here.
SamDavis

Here's a few at a bird dealer :thumbup:
lav1.jpg
The price is great too :thumbup:
lav2.jpg
Only catch is that the dealer is in San Diego. :thumbdown:
I doubt there's any left in Aus, but that hasn't stopped other species, so just maybe they'll make an incredible come back too. :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SamDavis wrote:Here's a few at a bird dealer :thumbup:
lav1.jpg
Don't do that, you almost have me a heart attack Sam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
BlackCobra

Jayburd wrote:
SamDavis wrote:Here's a few at a bird dealer :thumbup:
lav1.jpg
Don't do that, you almost have me a heart attack Sam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me too LOL
mattymeischke

A couple of questions:

(i) What is the particular appeal of lavender finches? Obviously, they are rare and desirable in Australia because we have none, but they don't strike me as an especially beautiful bird. Are they noted for their song or endearing character? I ask because some of the finches we have lost seem exquisitely beautiful (like the violet-eareds) and this one seems a bit less striking.

I note that in places where they remain available they are neither uncommon nor expensive.

(ii) This curious comment:
SamDavis wrote:but that hasn't stopped other species, so just maybe they'll make an incredible come back too
reminded me of a late night comment by a birdo of my acquaintance suggesting that the twinspot's comeback was not entirely due to breeding success. Have I misinterpreted you, Mr. Davis, or is this what you were referring to? If not, then what? Elaboration would be welcome; discretion would be understood.

mm.
:cloppy:
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
SamDavis

Why Matty you misunderstand. My thoughts are that perhaps there is some capable outback finch breeder who wishes to remain anonymous but has been secretly maintaining a genetically diverse flock of Lavenders for many a year. No doubt this or similar is how the Twinspots re-emerged from apparent Aussie extinction. ;-) ;-)
casehulsebosch

Just a few thoughts.

Have you ever seen these birds in the flesh? They are a beautiful bird. Apart from their beauty there are also those bird keepers who like a challenge, just as there are breeders who do away with certain species because they lack a challenge.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I for one still enjoy the zebbies every time I see them in the wild.

If you note that in places they remain available and are neither uncommon nor expensive, than that is due to the fact that they are maybe native to that particular continent or maybe smuggled in large numbers. Cities does not appear to work very well from where I am sitting.
Ever been to other continents and experienced the exorbitant profits there is being made from birds?

And yes, there are still a few bird breeders who sit quietly in the background breeding with rare species and don't announce this to the world. I recently still spoke to a world renowned bird breeder in another continent who imported birds from Australia. If you have the $$$$ anything is possible.

Cheers, Case
roma9009

Lavenders are a great bird there colour on the sunlight is remarkable and they have got real character

Return to “Non Specific Questions”