First painted babies

Includes Species Profile.
elferoz777

I had what I though were 2 very juvenile painteds.

None the less they built a nest.

I waited 3 weeks no babies...me being me left them for another week to be sure and sure enough they have hatched 2 babies.

They had full crops and looked to be about 2-3 days old...essentially they hatched about 4 days later than average.

The parents barely have any colour to the point I thought the cock was the hen.

I took some photos whilst they were out pigging on all the meal worms
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
David2406

Congratulations :clap: :clap:
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations Well Done. :thumbup: :clap:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your young painted cock certainly does not have much red. But they say these guys produce more daughters.
So lets see if he does. Congratulations.
LML
LML
TomDeGraaff

Parents with baby birds.......

That's what it's all about.

How lovely !
elferoz777

finchbreeder wrote:Your young painted cock certainly does not have much red. But they say these guys produce more daughters.
LML

Is that based on the theory that his male young would have not stood out as the best mates for the females so in order to pass on his genes he creates more females?

I read this somewhere and there is also a theory that is lack of color may stem from a lack of a male hormoane which will in turn impact on the sex of his young....interesting none the less
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
BlackCobra

Expect a lot more babies, painteds breed real well.
Looks like they all will be split yellow also, it looks like one of yours is yellow from what I can makeout from your pics.
elferoz777

BlackCobra wrote:Expect a lot more babies, painteds breed real well.
Looks like they all will be split yellow also, it looks like one of yours is yellow from what I can make out from your pics.
Yes when I purchased the pair at Singleton a few weeks back they were the only good looking pair I found..... unfortunately the rooster is red and the hen yellow.

I am going to get a red hen and yellow male shortly to hopefully pair them up with the same colour. Personally I am not fussed and like the prospect of splits.

Just have the check the TCPF nest now and hopefully will find some delayed babies there!!
BlackCobra

I also bought a pair at the sale & a pair from my local dealer the same day.
The pair I bought at sale were a bit more mature but the hen was not good when I got her home, I ended losing her.
The other pair were very young, took a while to colour up, ended up 2 cocks, 1 yellow & 1 red.
So now I have 3 Cocks, the dealer said he will swap the hen later, but hes not buying any more birds until next year, I only rang the dealer back to see if I could buy 3 hens, that's when he said he would swap one.
The dealer said hens are not easy to find, I might have to start & look around some of the local guys to see if any got any spares.
The male i got from the sale has a full red chest, Im looking forward to breeding with him.
Castaneothorax

In response to the message stated above (& copied below), being

Re: First painted babies
by elferoz777 on 05 Dec 2012, 22:06
finchbreeder wrote:Your young painted cock certainly does not have much red. But they say these guys produce more daughters.
LML

Is that based on the theory that his male young would have not stood out as the best mates for the females so in order to pass on his genes he creates more females?
I read this somewhere and there is also a theory that is lack of color may stem from a lack of a male hormoane which will in turn impact on the sex of his young....interesting none the less"
"
Response
Birds are basically the opposite to Humans (mammals), with males having two XX chromosomes, females have XY equivalent. gender chromosomes.
So simply, the female is the only one who can ''determine' the gender of offspring. In the past (1980s) we believed it was totally random, but more recent research suggests females have a lot bigger effect in determining gender of young, this may be direct choice (no. eggs vs sperm), maybe difference in eg hormones affecting sperm/egg survival, or post zygotic (ie egg survival). This is a new area in biology. Interestingly it really raised in prominance in Kangaroo research (1990s) & has followed on in birds.
But unlike what Russell Kingston has stated in Many articles, it is Impossible for males to determine the gender of young in finches. Except through their effect on females they mate with, & changing them. And that is very very simple genetics. xx male, vs xy females.

Return to “Painted”