European Greenfinches in a mixed collection??

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
Danny

I have been given a pair of European Greenfinches. They are currently in a small aviary and are keen as mustard to nest but the aviary just doesn't suit them or me and its about to be demolished. This means they have to move somewhere else.
Has anybody had any experiences with them in mixed collections?? I know they are 'only greenfinches' but it's a species I've never bred before so I'd like to succeed but not at the expense of others. The aviary I like best for them already has a resident singer pair (+ white nuns, grenadiers, cutthroats and BFPF) but they have never bred for me in that cage so could be moved if needed?

Danny
garymc

I had and bred European Greenfinches here as single pairs in a mixed collection, including softbills (wrens etc) but no green singers. Can't say they ever bothered anyone but their own kind. (Cock chasing hen)
elferoz777

make sure the are not wild caught.

I know this is not as common as it is with the goldfinch but I mistakenly bought trapped birds and they were a nervous pain.

I quite like them and have found they are flighty in small cages adn better in an aviary.

they might fight with other euro birds is all...seem to leave the aussie finches alone

Can you post a pic of the birds at all??

its been awhile since I have seen some

Good luck
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
casehulsebosch

Hi Danny

I have done some reading on this bird on European forums.

The species is seen as a beginners bird so you'l be right!
Fits in well in a mixed aviary. Well planted aviaries is an advantage.
Mainly seed eaters so a good seed mixture and wild bird seed. Egg mixture without livefood.

In Europe they use this as the birds preferred nestbox, placed high in the aviary.

Good luck, cheers, Case
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Netsurfer

No problems with those birds in the aviary providing it's reasonably large and not to over crowded, Greenfinches can take care of themselves and they are easy to breed. While I kept them I use to get 4 to 5 young every time, 4 to 5 clutches per year. The young are tricky to rise, initially there was high mortality rate approximately 50% but then I changed the diet to mostly green seeds, sunflower and Niger and managed to save 100%. However, I don't know if this means anything but a well known French breeder a friend of mine told me I shouldn't give them barley and wheat. I use to give mine complete seed mix with barley in it.
Also I wouldn't worry if they were avy bred or wild caught birds, once they settle down they will breed, I always bred from the wild caught birds.
Danny

Thanks. These are a young captive bred pair. It would not surprise me if they went straight to nest as they were trying to balance cotton wool scraps on a perch last week.
E Orix

Danny
I have \Green Finches in a mixed collection. Actually there are possibly 4 pair in my big flight and they have bred this year.
Even though mine have been bred many generations in captivital they still remain flighty and mine do not like nest interference
Netsurfer

E Orix wrote:Danny

Even though mine have been bred many generations in captivital they still remain flighty and mine do not like nest interference
Can't say that was the problem with my birds, all my cup nesters are closed banded and I occasionaly take the nest off and check the progress that is including Goldfinches, Siskins and Weavers and never regretted but many of my birds are finger tame even the Tanimbars! However, I do check nests of all of the cavity breeders using dentist mirror but I do not disturb their nest and never put on closed bands.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Netsurfer on 11 Dec 2012, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
elferoz777

Tanimbars finger tame!!!1 :o

Until I saw that picture I was of the opinion you were delusional.

I bet theyu breed well for you..

Mine are too flighty
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
elferoz777

Anyone know where I can get some green finches in southern syd apart from ace bird colonies? (no offence to them I just dont like travelling that far)

Return to “Non Specific Questions”