Genetic Recombination Sex-linkage

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Opaline in budgies etc. is where the head colour of a bird with a marked head becomes cleaner and goes down the back of the neck. While i know of no finch in which this happens. Perhaps the finch this is most likely to occur in is the Gouldian. We already have a couple of Gouldians mentioned on this and other forums where the black or blue neck bands seem to be expanding. Perhaps the very black or blue birds are examples of a type of opaline and will prove to be a sex linked mutation?
LML
LML
Red

Uraeginthus wrote:I gather these other combos such as isabel satinette inherit as their own sex-linked mutation (?)
Yes in the same way that isabel canaries or lacewing budgerigars mostly behave like ordinary sex linked traits. I don't like the way bird breeders use the word "mutation" but that's another issue.
firetail555

emmo wrote:Back to answering the original question - and pardon my ignorance if I am wrong or haven't considered all aspects of the question - but isn't the seagreen mutation of the Red Faced Parrot Finch a sex-linked mutation?
emmo, I dont think this is correct, I think it is recessive. One good indicator of a sex-linked mutations is that a split cock will have a seperate price and a coloured cock will be more expensive than a hen. this is because in sex-linked, you can breed coloured hens from a split cock to a normal hen or a coloured cock to a normal hen, therefore, you dont need to buy a coloured hen to bred that mutation. Hence they are priced seperately.

The lutino BF parrot-finch is sex-linked and the cocks, hens and split cocks are priced differently. Remember, you cant get a split hen in a sex-linked mutation
David
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think Seagreen Red Faced Parrot Finch are a sex linked mutation.
Dimar

Hi guys,
Uraeginthus, to answer your main question, euro zfinch has many sex-linked mutations:

1-fawn (we call it brown)

and then the following ones, which are all allelics:

2-lightback
3-cfw (like your Oz cfw)
4-ccfw (continental cfw)
5-ino

and more:
6-red eyed lightback (the last one discovered, still available only in fawn "version" and still under study)

For what I know, in Oz you only have:
-fawn (same as our brown)
-cfw
-cream backed (someone says it could be the same as our brown ccfw, but I don't know if some breeder has ever tried to shed light on this)

ciao
Dimar
emmo

Sorry I left out the word recessive and it is important, so I believe the Seagreen Red Faced Parrot Finch mutation is recessive sex-linked.
thewaxbill

I have never been interested that much in colour variants but i understand the basic genetic inheritance's, however what would be the outcome of pairing a sex linked bird with a dominmant pied?
Regards Bob
http://www.waxbillfinchsociety.org.uk
Keeping the faith in Yorkshire
natamambo

Bob, that's a good question. On the assumption that only one parent is pied the two characteristics are inheritedly separately, so:
- 50% of young will be pied and *also*
- If dad is sex linked recessive, all daughters will be sex linked recessive as well as pied, all sons will be split and show only pied or normal
- If mum is the sex linked recessive one all sons will be split for sex linked and show only pied or normal.

Why the "pied or normal"? Because the pied is autosomal dominant the pied bird is usually split for normal and the other parent is normal. It is possible for the parent to be double factor pied, this would come about by pairing two pied - 1 in 4 young on average would then be DF pied birds - but in many other bird species the DF dominant actually produces a different phenotype, such as the black eyed cear bodied budgie which is really a DF spangle.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

These are more finches that are sex linked. Though not all in Australia unfortunately. :thumbdown:
cinnamon Doublebars, cinnamon Shaft-tails, cinnamon Cherry finches, cinnamon Stars (edited due to mind wandering)
Interestingly, they are all birds where the head colouring lends itself to the possobility of the Opaline mutation.
LML
Last edited by finchbreeder on 13 Dec 2012, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
LML
mattymeischke

finchbreeder wrote: ...Yellow-faced Stars...
Aren't they autosomal recessive?

(FBs edit noted)
Last edited by mattymeischke on 13 Dec 2012, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)

Return to “Mutation Finches”