But wait, there's more

Yellow Billed and Red Billed (Hecks)
Includes Species Profiles
natamambo

Took this photo on Saturday - mum, dad and 3 bubs. Mum's a pearl, dad's not. Sunday the count went from 3 to 5 as 2 more younguns appeared. Not a bad clutch, all looking healthy, so we feel very prod as the grandparents. Today I had to get my glasses to do a re-count after their morning checkup, Yep, you guessed it - 1 more makes 6!

Not bad considering about 12 weeks ago dad, who was one of the "pet" birds, broke his wing. Vet said he'd likely never fly again but keep him warm and protected for 4 weeks and then see what he was like after that. Did as we woz told, and then put him out into the most protected aviary which just happened to house a lone hen who'd raised one young in March and hubby had died over the winter. Took him about another week to get enough strength to fly, well kinda anyway, he learnt to hop his way up through the plants and on to the perch. He can now fly but not in a straight line and he's not real good on landings so when he started courting the hen we didn't expect much.

Blame the cropped iphone image for the quality.

finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations Great Work :thumbup: :clap:
TomDeGraaff

What do you intend to mate your split younguns to?
natamambo

Uraeginthus wrote:What do you intend to mate your split younguns to?
I bought 4 young birds as "splits", one turned in to pearl - the mother here. Of the other 3, 1 was a hen, she's in "storage" and two cocks. Both cocks died, one was the father of this mother's first clutch. I bought two cocks from NSW, both died. I bought a pair at Mornington (I've had them them DNA tested so I know for sure) who are in another flight showing no signs of breeding. Soooo...... now I have (assuming adulthood arrives for this all of this clutch) I have two pearl hens, two split hens, one pearl cock and 6 more splits. Knowing my history of breeding hens (I always have a shortage of males for some reason) that means 7 more hens. So, my one pearl cock???????? Boy, is he going to be busy :lol: .

I'm not into split plus split and spreading random mutant genes through the pond so I guess I'll be looking to trade birds with other breeders next season. Al I have to do is find another breeder in Victoria and / or try and track down the breeder of the two I bought this year as I seem to have lost his details..
TomDeGraaff

Best wishes. I agree with the split to split idea. It's one to avoid if possible.
natamambo

Same "camera", same photographer, same image quality :sick: - but proof of all six :lol: .

finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well congratulations to you and the little dad who is obviously the never say can't type. :thumbup:
LML
LML
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's a Great pic of the whole family

Return to “Long Tailed”