How to get them breeding?

Includes Species Profile
Dal

Hi All

Does anyone have any tips on getting RC's in the breeding mood. All my birds (except my Gouldians) are doing something at the moment, but my RC's just don't seem to be interested. They are getting daily termites and greens. There are plenty of choices for nesting sites and a good supply of grasses etc. Any tips appreciated.

Thanks, Dal
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How many other birds In aviary

How old ?

Were These birds breed on Termites or maggots ?

How long have you had them ?
Dal

Hi 247.

I have had them since the Singleton sale two months ago. They are in a 3.8m x 1.8m partially suspended with a pair of Gouldians and a pair of Painteds. Not 100% sure of age. Was told they are last-year bred. They are fully coloured. I may be expecting too much too soon. Just making sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks for the reply :thumbup: .

Dal
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Dal :)
I would think it's a bit soon for them to be breeding, after being purchased quite recently. Stranger things have happened though!! Just give them some time, and if you can, some feathers - cordons love feathers!
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Tiaris

Some dense nesting brush, fresh nesting grass, regular termite supply & coloured pair of birds at this time of year should eventually yield something.
Dal

Hey Jaybird. Can Cordons take a bit longer to settle in to new quarters than other species? The Painteds and Stars I bought at the same time are both nesting (the Painteds took about 2 weeks).

And Tiaris. All of the above ticked off :thumbup: .... Hopefully something will happen soon :D

Thanks for the replies.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd say hey take longer than painteds at least :P mine have so far been pretty slow adapters, and they're just now starting to sing after about six months.
Like Tiaris said though, keep it up and you'll get results :)
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
BlackCobra

Painteds are so fast to go to nest, they don't mess around, when Im setting up an aviary with mixed collection, generally the painteds are first to go to nest, but Cordons usually take longer, I remember my first pair of Cordons I ever had, the first season they kicked out 25 young & when I went to change the Bushes in the aviary just after there last babies were flying I found her back on eggs.
That pair did go down fast but generally they are a bit slower, but it also depends on age, out of the 3 pairs of stars I bought at singleton sale a couple are still colouring up.
Its funny the painteds get more stressed than most when you buy them & bring them home but I think also the painteds are less stressed than other finches once there settled in, they don't have the fear of us like other finches do, there a bit like parroties they don't take long to come up to you to see what you have for them, the painteds are usually the last to fly off as they don't have the fear, maybe that's why they go to nest faster.

Return to “Red Cheeked Cordon”