Flying High Bird Sanctuary

montall

We are just back from a nice little break up at Hervey Bay. We took a day trip to Bundaberg and discovered, quite by accident, one of the highlights of the whole holiday for me.

At a little place just outside of Childers called Apple Tree Creek we noticed a sign for the Flying High Bird Sanctuary and in we popped. They lay claim to having the biggest walk through bird aviary in Australia. It's mostly smallish parrots, but they have finches as well as many many other small birds. In separate cages they have owls, macaws, and every larger parrot imaginable. It is a bird sanctuary and most of the birds (especially the larger parrots) are surrendered pets. A lot of them talk, one little Corella has the cute habit of waving his little foot at you when he says "Hello". Pretty well all the birds are really tame and you can get right up close to them.

It's well worth a visit if any of you are ever in that neck of the woods. Here's a few photos to whet your appetite.
IMG_3687.JPG
IMG_3682.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image ... Leonie
Mortisha

Nice to see a place where unwanted birds can have a home, they look happy!
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Its up For Sale Again....
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Myzomela

Wonder why???? ;-) ;-)
Research; evaluate;observe;act
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Myzomela wrote:Wonder why???? ;-) ;-)
Well to begin with a Truck went through their boundary fence...Lots of birds missing due to rats...and bit expensive to get in, with less and less birds to be seen...and a few hybrids also....
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very Nice Parrots.
montall

Uumh, they didn't mention it was up for sale, and you say - again, which suggests it has changed hands a few times. I got the impression they had been there for quite a while. Mind you that was only an impression, in hindsight I don't know why I thought that.

He did mention the rats. We had asked about the pipe bait traps they had around the place thinking it was mice (I have an ongoing problem with them myself) and he said they had a bigger problem with rats.

Geez, if there are fewer and fewer birds to be seen, they must have had heaps of them to start with. I did notice the hybrids but given that it's a sanctuary rather than a breeding facility (although the birds are obviously breeding) I guess keeping the various breeds pure isn't high on their agenda. No one would know how 'pure' they were to start with I suppose.

.... and yep, I think they are very nice parrots too, finches 247.
Image ... Leonie
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They have been loosing quite a few to rats, and about a month ago a number of expensive birds were stolen....he breeds a few himself but he has only been there about 18mths to 2yrs...don't think they get the walk in traffic they need to keep it running properly....and it is pretty unkemp...needs a good tidy up and landscape, painting etc..but that dosn't pay the bills :thumbup: ...I live not far from there it is slowly deteriorating.. :(
montall

That's a pity. It's sad to see these little privately run places disappearing. I always think they are so much nicer than the big touristy attractions, but I can see that it would be a daunting exercise to run one. We also visited an aquarium/restaurant in Hervey Bay that is just a little privately run affair and it was just lovely, but it's probably another one that is destined to run out of money eventually.

You live in a lovely part of the country vettepilot. I briefly visited Childers many many years ago and had fond memories of it being a really pretty little town. For some reason I retained the memory of it over so many others I saw during those years. I was really pleased to see that 40 years or so down the track, my memory of it was justified, it's still beautiful.
Image ... Leonie
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cheers Leonie....I think also the little zoo/aviary on the river at the park in Bundaberg(free admission) dose'nt help either... :thumbup:

Return to “Parrots”