Painted babies

Includes Species Profile.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Always have a few branches and a bit of bush just above ground leval, for the early jumpers to get up off the floor. Most parents will continue to feed them till they are fully independant. In an avairy the size you have I would recommend a couple of "nursery" patches.
LML
LML
BrettB

Hello Alison,

Newly fledged young rarely injure themselves jumping from the nest, they are pretty light and can flutter even if they can not fly.
They tend to bounce !

The risks to newly fledged young are open water and temperature.
Having a few sticks/brush down low for them will allow them to get up off the ground, which is warmer than being on the earth.
Not that you have to worry about them getting cold in Perth at this time of year.
Painteds have a habit of huddling together, especially when young. It is interesting to witness

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
iva

My pair of painted raised 3 lots of 4 babies. Just waiting for last batch to colour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davally

BrettB wrote:Hello Alison,

Newly fledged young rarely injure themselves jumping from the nest, they are pretty light and can flutter even if they can not fly.
They tend to bounce !

The risks to newly fledged young are open water and temperature.
Having a few sticks/brush down low for them will allow them to get up off the ground, which is warmer than being on the earth.
Not that you have to worry about them getting cold in Perth at this time of year.
Painteds have a habit of huddling together, especially when young. It is interesting to witness

Cheers
Brett
Thanks for the advice Brett
It seems like my pair are busy in a nest now. :thumbup: just under the nest area is a garden with plants so hopefully
that will be adequate. Another pair are in a nest most of the time they are Blackhearts. First lot of eggs with a pair
of King Quail.
Alison & Dave
Tiaris

Painteds are truly remarkable - most species fledge & the worst place for them to hang out is on the floor/ground especially in winter - Painteds though, just hang on the ground & huddle up together - never (yes NEVER) lost them due to spending cool winter nights on the aviary floor, over many hundreds of young over many years of breeding them & no matter how recently fledged. Most other species would be dead 1st night. Excellent natural adaptation to cold desert conditions. Worry not with these guys. They probably won't use any branches, etc anyway.
Masterfincher

My first brood of painteds out a couple of weeks ago- 6 young ones! Very happy. I thought they might have been 2 broods from my 2 pair in the aviary ( both pairs are fairly new) but only one pair is feeding them so i presume they all came from the one nest.
Nice friendly, chatty birds. Looking forward to many more :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matcho

MF,

Wow,
you have done very well, 3 is my best, you are obviously doing things right.

Well done :clap:

Ken.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

6 is a real fertile pair. :thumbup: Definate keepers, and of course you must have given them all the right support, so congratulations.
LML
LML
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I once had a clutch of 7 fledge. Sadly hen died a few days later, probably from exhaustion.

Return to “Painted”