Temperature for Gouldians

Includes Species Profile.
casehulsebosch

Just to clarify.

I posted a link to the annual weather for the Wyndham region as this is the place that The Save the Gouldian Fund does scientific research on this species in the wild.
N.T. (Northern Territories Bob) does some wishy washy gouldian count every now and again but this is all but scientific.

Timber Creek on the Victoria Highway or Edith Falls Road, just north of Katherine are two other places you can look at for temps in the birds natural environment.

Cheers, Case, Tauranga, New Zealand.
fishdance

If more gouldian breeders heated their birds in Australia, the over all result would be less tolerant birds.
Although this IS an interesting discussion, at the end of the day bird keepers will do what they believe is best. Whether it's best for the keepers or best for birds is moot as its their decision. The fact that the majority of keepers seem to do this indicates to me that it's not a random decision. I'm sure there are many experienced and accomplished breeders in that majority?

With respect, even if you dislike it, these are not your birds. If they are able to develop a robust gouldian suited to your UK conditions then power to them. This is best for both keepers and birds imo.

Winston
Craig52

Well said DB and E Orix Craig :thumbup: :thumbup:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Major temperature changes are bad for all creatures. Just ask the truck driver who got out of his airconditioned truck 22 degrees, into 46 degree temp and changed his blown tyre. Whoops, you can't. He died of a heard attack at the shock and stress. Well birds should not be submitted to major temperature changes either. Slow but gradual changes work for everything. The weather naturally rises and falls, and all creatures are designed to adapt to gradual change. So if you want to do a change do it slowly.
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

finchbreeder wrote:Major temperature changes are bad for all creatures. Just ask the truck driver who got out of his airconditioned truck 22 degrees, into 46 degree temp and changed his blown tyre. Whoops, you can't. He died of a heard attack at the shock and stress.
LML
Might be true for Finches but not for humans FB....I go from 24c to 40c to anywhere up to 80c (same as many of my co-workers)....so that particular person must of had and underlying issues.... :problem:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Humans can do as you do VP. Does not mean it is good for you. The blood vessels must contract and dilate to allow for temperature changes. The larger the temp change, and the more sudden the greater the risk. The healthyer you are the less risk. The gent in question was nearing retirement, so maybe not at his fittest. But there are some jolly fit retirerees out there so who knows? Sorry for wandering from the topic.
LML
LML
thewaxbill

Thanks for all the replies everyone, as expected the replies were varied in opinion, in my own experience Gouldians in captive conditions cope better with the high temperature better than low and moulting from juvenile plumage to adult is quicker at higher temps. Its obvious they can cope with extremes of high and low temps either be it in the wild or in captivity but i personally don't believe they should be subject to constant low temps as some seem to try to do. The higher temps i am refering to are nothing like the high's they would be exposed to in Australian aviaries.
Regards Bob
http://www.waxbillfinchsociety.org.uk
Keeping the faith in Yorkshire
Lonkies

Agreed. Awesome discussion. So cafe blinds on all open alfresco areas in a Melbourne winter should suffice?

Return to “Gouldian”