How to open a bag of seed

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Recycling vs my sanity ..sorry stanley knife wins out every time .... never been able to find the magic thread .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Craig52

I still get it wrong after all these years and yes a stanley knife helps but you can still open the bag this way with out damaging it,pull the flaps at the top apart to stretch the thread then cut them with the stanley knife.I use these bags at clean out time,fill them up and throw them in the garbage wheelie bin. Craig
Last edited by Craig52 on 20 Jan 2013, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
maz

Yep all my bags get used for the clean outs of all the animals, I get it right about 50% of the time but stanley knife means I can still reuse anyway :) Saves on garbage bags :thumbup:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Right 50% of the time and use the scissors the rest of the time, hubby has a standing order for all empty bags to cart the rubbish from round the yard to the tip.
LML
LML
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They do stand up well so are easy to empty food scraps into I find ... seed into a bucket for the wild birds and fruit / veg scraps into the seed bag until full then into the bin > no compost heap any more since finding it a feeding ground for mice .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
natamambo

I just wanna go to the nearest seed shop and try it :lol: . Only opened the current bag last week and it'll last me 3 months or more :sob: .
Danny

I'm usually facing the bag when I do it so my rule has always been "double thread to the front, start on the left" . You'll get 95% of bags the first time with ever even cutting the thread as you can usually see the thread that's been looped back and you just unpick it.
gomer

Danny wrote:I'm usually facing the bag when I do it so my rule has always been "double thread to the front, start on the left" . You'll get 95% of bags the first time with ever even cutting the thread as you can usually see the thread that's been looped back and you just unpick it.
now its starting to sound complicated again.I just learnt the other way :lol:
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
SamDavis

Blimey - a bit more popular than I anticipated.
natamambo wrote:I just wanna go to the nearest seed shop and try it :lol: . Only opened the current bag last week and it'll last me 3 months or more :sob: .
I'm waiting for the headline - "Bag openers attack produce stores across the nation" :crazy:
Danny wrote:I'm usually facing the bag when I do it so my rule has always been "double thread to the front, start on the left" . You'll get 95% of bags the first time with ever even cutting the thread as you can usually see the thread that's been looped back and you just unpick it.
Double thread facing you then open from left. Single thread facing then open from right. (I think!) :?
TomDeGraaff

The few times i have got this right in the past, I didn't break the string, I found a thread looped but if you muck that bit up, all is lost and stanley does the rest.
Identifying the looped string is the trick to me.

Return to “Diet & Food”