Red Crested 1st baby

mrscibbo

very happy only had them for a couple of months and 4 days ago seen my first red crested left nest, they have been raised on meal worms and maggots, i hsave read mixed reports on what to do, some say to wait 2 weeks and remove them, some say put cock in cage at day 8, some others let nature take its course, have noticed that there has been a new nest made dont know if hen has laid yet, as these buggers are very flighty, never seen my pair sit on nest once thats why i was amazed when i checked nest with mirror to find a baby, whats everyones suggestion i would hate to loose my youngster
thanx regards Marty
west finch

Good luck Marty ,Hope it all goes well !
Work smarter not harder !
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well Done Marty Congrats :thumbup:
arthur

Keep us updated . .

The greater the pool of data on these birds, the easier it will be to get best management methods
mrscibbo

youngster still going well hen sitting on 3 eggs caught out cock bird today put in small cage in corridor against aviary will leave him there for a week till younster can eat on his own not that it will be easy to tell as they are so secretive thanx for replys
E Orix

I think they are a really interesting bird,they are so much like Tanagers but seed eaters.
After having so many eggs fail due to the heat I have a pair flat out feeding 3 feathering chicks.
I haven't had 3 fledge since I lost my good hen in the storm last year.
It seems a few people are breeding them this year which is great news,the more breeders the better for all.
Myzomela

Hi Marty,

Just be careful if you remove the youngster and place him in a holding cage in the birdroom.

Some breeders have struck problems with them. If you have to move him you may be better off moving him to another aviary.

I agree with EOrix they are unique- the only bunting-like bird we have if you don't include the yellowhammer.
Research; evaluate;observe;act

Return to “Red Crested Finch”