Mesias and shamas

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
Steve002

With new aviaries underway and beginning to look for stock I was hoping to find out if many people keep mesias or shamas. Years ago several friends kept them along with Red Crested and Green Cardinals but as time went on and I moved away. I lost contact with those people and now most have passed on. So now I don't know whats available. Any feedback would be appreciated.
iaos

Hi Steve, I'm not 100% sure on the status of sharmas, but mt understanding is that they have just about had it in Aus.

Mesias are a slightly better story. Deep pockets will be required. viewtopic.php?f=69&t=13461&p=125837&hilit=mesia#p125837

Ace colony in Sydney also advertises them from time to time.

Cheers Ian
E Orix

It will be very hard to locate any let alone buying them.
I guess a wad of notes exceeding $5000 per pair waved in the owners eyes may interest but possibly more
would be needed. They are so rare and well tucked away.
Steve002

Thank you for your feedback. It comes as no surprise that they are now rare and expensive. Such a pity as I remember when shamas were $400 a pair. My preference will be for mesias first but at least know I know what I will be up for.
Myzomela

Steve,

If you can actually locate a female shama, let alone find one offered for sale, I would be amazed.

The mesias are the strongest of the 4 species listed and you can count the number of pairs in single digits.

The situation could change at any time, but I'd be directing my attention elsewhere. Even Pekin robins are expensive ($2500-3500/pr).

There are still plenty of inexpensive finches or native softbills that need help, so maybe they are an option?

Good luck
Research; evaluate;observe;act
desertbirds

Didnt the last shama(s) end up on petlink advertised with a magpie robin as a mate ? probably could have pre paid the same guy for a heap of next years mesias as well,at about that time. :lolno: The pre paid birds never arrived.

Just to clarify , a well known dud of the industry previously advertised some of these birds, and other expensive weavers ect. dont believe hes a forum member and really dont care, just buy off of reputable breeders, pay cash as your handed the birds if your in the market for the up-market birds.

Return to “For any species not listed below”