How to breed Red Siskins?

Includes Species Profile
joofler

I have 2 pairs of red siskins and they have had eggs and sat but when they hatch they do not sit! If anyone has any advice on how to breed them it would be great! :thumbup:

Thanks Jack
Netsurfer

joofler wrote:I have 2 pairs of red siskins and they have had eggs and sat but when they hatch they do not sit! If anyone has any advice on how to breed them it would be great! :thumbup:

Thanks Jack
That's common problem with the Red Siskins, it's hard to tell why are they doing that. Sometimes it's the environment, sometimes the food and other times it's the young inexperienced birds to blame. Branching into Carduelan species is the best way out, having several pairs of closely related species means if somethings goes wrong, as in your case, you always have another nest to foster the eggs or the young to. With a single pair of Siskins is not as easy but you do get occasionally good pair that will rise their young well.
SamDavis

I wish I could help you out. Last year was my first season with them and I bred heaps. I thought it was easy peasy! Then this year I've got 3 pair going and have fledged just 2 (so far). I've lost heaps, yet I haven't changed anything I'm aware of. At present I have 2 hens on eggs and another who hatched three but only one remains this morning. One chick died when a day or two old and another died last night. This morning's dead chick had food in its crop. I don't know what the issue is but I know I'm not the only one as it does seem everyone near me is having similar trouble with them this season.
Sorry, not really helpful, but maybe some solice in knowing you're not the only one.
joofler

Thanks for that, Should be great and ill use it next season! Hope your season goes fantastic! :D

Thanks Jack
holtz

Ditto for me 2 nests this season 3 chicks in each at 10 point GONE!! They can be very frustrating but we all like a challenge don't we??? Holtz

Return to “Red Siskin”