Keeping & Breeding the Nonpareil (Pin-tailed Parrot Finch)

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
findi

Hi All,
When translated to English, the French language name for this little finch – Nonpareil – means “without equal”. The name suits the gorgeous bird perfectly…so much so that aviculturists of all nationalities have adopted it. Also known as the Pin-Tailed Parrot Finch (Erythrura prasina), the brilliantly-colored Nonpareil has long been among the most desired of all Southeast Asian finches.
My first experience with these beauties came while working for a bird importer. I was captivated by their colors, but despaired over the stress caused them by shipment and confinement to quarantine facilities. Fortunately, an experienced private breeder helped me to learn the keys to keeping them alive and well. Read article here http://bit.ly/WCkq3R
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj.

Thanks, Frank
My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with http://bitly.com/LC8Lbp
Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m
casehulsebosch

Hallo Frank

Beautiful bird and like all parrot finches a pleasure to keep.
I don't think this species is still available in Oz? but they are certainly being bred in my home country.
They are renowned for using a large quantity of long grasses for nesting material and there are of course two subspecies; one yellow and one red belly.

cheers, Case
findi

casehulsebosch wrote:Hallo Frank

Beautiful bird and like all parrot finches a pleasure to keep.
I don't think this species is still available in Oz? but they are certainly being bred in my home country.
They are renowned for using a large quantity of long grasses for nesting material and there are of course two subspecies; one yellow and one red belly.

cheers, Case
Thanks for the note and info Case. Where is it that they are being bred (not clear to me from your post), thanks. I see that I neglected to mention the subspecies, thank you...have you seen both in the trade? best regards, Frank
casehulsebosch

Hi Frank

I am originally from that low lying country behind the dykes.
Not seen them for some years now but I am planning to trip to Holland at the end of next year to coincide with the National bird show and the COM world show being hosted by Holland.

cheers, case
findi

casehulsebosch wrote:Hi Frank

I am originally from that low lying country behind the dykes.
Not seen them for some years now but I am planning to trip to Holland at the end of next year to coincide with the National bird show and the COM world show being hosted by Holland.

cheers, case

Ahhh...your breeders have always been way ahead of us here in the USA, especially as regards lesser known finches and softbills. There are some good private breeders here as well, but focus not as wide as in Europe. Best, Frank
arthur

Just found this thread . .

Plenty of rumours to suggest that these birds are here in Oz, but in dangerously small numbers . .

Even featured on some 'pricelists' . . ??

"Them that knows don't say etc . ."
GregH

Hi Frank. Just updating you on the distribution. I lived in the Philippines and during that time (2007) a population of E. prasina was discovered on the island of Palawan. It's not that far from Borneo and the island shares many other species with it's larger neighbour. Here's a link to a photograph of the bird announced on a blog called Samu’t Saring Buhay. The bird shown seems to be a yellow-bellied form and looks to be juvenile (gape flanges visible) so the adults should be more brightly coloured.
garymc

I have heard those rumours too Arthur.
arthur

http://www.environment.gov.au/system/fi ... common.pdf

Listed on the above inventory . .

So hopefully those with them can give them a 'kickalong' :thumbup:
firetail555

garymc wrote:I have heard those rumours too Arthur.
Yeah Gary. I've seen those rumours too
011.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Non Specific Questions”