Nothing happening!

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
jax

Hello to everyone :!:
My daughter bought two Zebra Finches home about a month ago, she was excited about breeding them but as yet nothing has happened. They are Male and Female I'm sure, as one has orange cheeks and the other doesn't.We have put in a nest, and they seem the closest of buddies. I was told that Zebras breed like mice, but not in this house! I think the female is about a year old as I'm sure it says 08 on her leg ring. The male, I have no idea. My daughter was told nothing about them when she bought them. Is there any way i can tell how old the male is by looks? He seems a bit fatter, not as lean as the female. How would i know if they are a healthy pair for breeding?If anyone can make any suggestions to me, as i am a complete novice when it comes to birds, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you
Page0044

They sound like there healthy and its hard to tell there age, they will breed when there ready and once they start you won't stop them, have you supplied any nesting material and some feathers.
Cheers
Greg
toddles044

zebs are easy to breed i have some makin nests now but they do sound like a good pair just woundering wot colour are there bills and how dark or stronge in colour are there bills?
jax

yes supplied all the right ingredients....will probably have to just wait and see, maybe I'm a little impatient!
jax

Think you can see in the display picture (although might have to get a picture with a closer view!)The males is a deep orange, and the hens more yellow,not as deep orange. I am not even too sure what type of Zebs they are, as i said, all new to me.
Cheers :)
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

they look like a pair from here. just give them time because it sounds like you are doing all the right things....pete
toddles044

yer they do look like a pair and the male is deffently a normal zeb nice and healthy and the female looks like it as well or poss a cinamon or sumthing maybe if you can get a better pic i will be able to tell.
gomer

they may need time.dont really know anyway of telling age acurately.as for health hows the keel bone? sharp to thin,cant feel it to fat.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches

Return to “Breeding Finches”