Night Parrots

desertbirds

Round one to the secretive Parrots. :thumbdown: I think the cameras aren`t sensitive enough as we`re not capturing any small birds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tintola

Check the contents of the dingoes stomach. :snide:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
elferoz777

nice dingo shots!

Quite like them
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
desertbirds

Tintola wrote:Check the contents of the dingoes stomach. :snide:
Hmmm, what was he chasing at 1.48 am ??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Niki_K

I love these- thanks for sharing! What sort of camera set up are you using? If you have funding, it might be worth giving Sirtrack's stuff a go. Expensive, yes, but worth every penny.
casehulsebosch

Certainly no shortage of Dingo's up your way J.

When we stayed in the McDonnell ranges last year we had visitors in the camp every evening. Oh so discreet.

In the more popular tourist spots, which i try to avoid, i saw them during the day as well.

cheers, Case
iaos

Hi DB,

No more news?

Here are some shots to inspire you to keep the traps out http://www.discoverwildlife.com/gallery ... 93-winners

Cheers Ian
desertbirds

No more news iaos. Been granted permission to have a good look around the station , just seems no one else is very motivated. We dont have the right cameras and im reluctant to spend my cash on this type of project. After we set up the cameras the station owner told me theres another trough not far away with stacks of birds coming in to drink. After a week of setting up the cameras in what was probably not the right spot you can imagine my frustration.I think the station owner was testing the water to see what we would get up to before giving out too much info.

Ive been talking with some aboriginal people from the western desert and they knew straight away what birds i was referring to, they`ve seen the birds but a very long time ago, been given a few names of people on communities to talk to. Ive also talked to people that have had a stack of cameras on water holes around central Australia for the camel project and they didnt turn up anything . Tintola suggested the birds may not need to drink as often as some other species and i`m beginning to think this is the case. Where the birds have been seen people go back and set the camera traps on water holes, dams ect without any success.

Very hard to know how much time , effort and money to put into something like this.
iaos

Fair enough. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack in the dark...
Mortisha

On the trail of the mysterious Night Parrot
http://www.abc.net.au/rural/telegraph/c ... 748459.htm

Ecologist Julian Reid and filmmaker Rob Nugent from the Australian National University are touring Central Australia for a documentary film, speaking to anyone who claims to have a night parrot story.

Return to “Parrots”