Moving nesting Zebs

Includes Species Profile.
maureen_g

I have a nesting pair of zebs whose eggs are due to hatch at any time. They are in an aviary with a pair of Stars, a pair of WB goulds, 2 pair of double bars and non-breeding painteds. My dilemma is that there are two nests with eggs in them near the zebs. I assume one lot belongs to the stars. The other lot is anybodys guess. I would like to move the zebs with nest/babies to a breeding cage as I'm worried the zebs will interfere with the other nests. I would appreciate any advice on this matter.
Trilobite

Gday Maureen,
I am no expert having never bred Zebs or Stars, but I propose a simple acronym - KISS - keep it simple sailor - if they have nested within close proximity to each other and have almost finished incubation and have not deserted their respective nests then leave them do what they do best - nest and raise babies!! You will find that mostly they are very resilient (I have golden song sparrows raising chicks in a nest literally built on top of a crimson finch nest also with chicks) - they may have the occasional spat but unless they start harming each other I would sit back and enjoy the ride.

IF you do get to convincing yourself you must shift a nest, I would do the zebs only as they are likely to be less prone to deserting. Be prepared, do it first thing in the morning, do it quickly and walk away and let them settle back in for the day - fingers crossed. Most other species generally wont desert the nest unless really pushed.

Don't stress, just take the time to observe and let be if you can.
Cheers
Trilobite
maureen_g

Thanks for that. I had a nasty experience a few days ago. I was in the aviary changing the water.the birds were freaking out a bit and flyng into the area where the nests are. I heard an awful sound - a bit like a modified tassie devil - then my painted hen flew out of the area landed on a perch, dropped down onto a pot plant squatted there for several seconds and then just died. The nest area isn't in easy sight behind a short colorbond panel. There wasn't a mark on the dead bird. The next day I found it was the zeb hen who is making that awful noise as she is very protective of that area around the nest bordering on aggressive. The other nests only have eggs no sitters as yet. Maybe the painted just died for some unknown reason but it died right after that awful noise the zeb was making as she chases everyone out of her area and right before my eyes! That was upsetting and so I do worry about the other birds and nests. But I am very fond of the zebs too. :gurn: :( :cry:
Diane

Sounds like you might be feeling the need for another aviary soon. :thumbup:
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
maureen_g

l have one suspended and another four bank just gotta put mouse/bird proof wire over the other wire. Also another aviary to pick up this weekend. Just slightly addicted! :P :roll: :roll:
That's in addition to two free-standing (one split down the middle) already with probably too many birds in some. So will be very happy to get the birds more spread out!! :D :) :D
zebman

I would leave things as they are, if you make to much disturbance near the star's nest there is a very good chance they will abandon their nest.
maureen_g

I have decided to leave things as they are. If I leave the safety door open the birds fly into the safety area whilst I do the feed and water routine. So mum zeb doesn't get disturbed. I discovered that one of the double bar pairs has made a nest in a nest box and it has 3 eggs in it which was totally unexpected. I've only had them for 3 weeks. So I'm staying right away from that part of the aviary from now on and just see what happens. Thanks for the advice and I need plenty of it!! :wave: :roll:
zebman

Congrats on the double bars, :clap: don't get to nosey with thoes guys either.
maureen_g

Oh I am terrified to even go into the aviary at all now!! I suspect both DB hens are sitting on eggs. They are hardly ever out in the flight but mostly stay in the secluded nesting box area. They all come out for seeding grass and mealies. Other than that sometimes 1 or 2 birds might be out at a time on occasion. One nest box can be seen standing outside the aviary and sometimes I can see a tiny face peeping out. I would love to turn it around so she can't see me but I won't go near it. I just go in in the morning to change the water and give them the grass seed and mealies and in the afternoon to check water and more mealies. I can't see the other nest at all as it's round the corner but one bird seems to be standing guard nearby most of the time. I was so NOT expecting the DBs to do this!!! I am really stressed now but a bit excited too. I think the Stars have a nest in there too but not sitting yet. And the Zebbies should be hatching within a few days. Those little DBs aren't too shy to come and get their mealies whilst I'm standing right outside the aviary. Little buggers!!! :crazy: :o :shifty:

Return to “Zebra”