Canary Shows 2013

Red

I thought I would start a thread to discuss this year's canary events now that some of the big shows have started.

Is anyone else going to the Dandenong Canary Society's Annual Open Young Bird Show on April 6th?

For those unfamiliar with the area, Dandenong is in Victoria. Any news of canary shows, in any location is welcome.
Canary

The next Show is the Newcastle/Maitland Canary & Cage Bird Show on 13 April 2013.

The following weekend there is the Manly Warringah Avicultural Society Show on 20 April 2013 at St Ives Showground, 450 Mona Vale Rd, St Ives.

There is a Show nearly every weekend from now until July in the Sydney/Newcastle/Wollongong/Canberra area.
iaos

Any idea of where in the Newcastle show will be?
Cheers Ian
branchez

If anybody is interested-Geelong has a Canary sale at the showgrounds tomorrow at 10am.(7th)
Jack
Red

Hi Jack, Ian and Canary,

Thanks for contributing.

Just got back from Dandenong and it was pretty good. Lots of Borders, Fifes and Glosters as you would expect. There were also a good number of North Dutch Frills and some Fiorino Frills, which impressed me. There were a dozen Australian Plainheads. Plenty of coloured canaries as well as Lizards (white, red and yellow) and Staffords (red). I only saw one Crested and other than that no Norwich. Unfortunately, no Yorkshires.

My next show is with the Melbourne Canary Improvement Society in Mt Waverley, Victoria, which is on the 20th of April.

Is anyone going to this year's National in Melbourne?

Red
Canary

I expect that Ron Oro will send Lizards, Red Factors and Hybrids from Sydney. He usually does and also usually wins some of the major awards. He bred over 200 canaries last year.

The Border Fancy Canary Club will also select a team of birds after the Young Stock Show to send down.

Red, I heard today that one of the Border Clubs down there is looking to change their standard. Do you know anything about this?

Greg
Red

Hi Greg,

The Victorian Border Club is not changing the scale of points or the description of the bird. My understanding is that the illustration of the ideal bird is being redrawn because it was not as big as specified in the standard. I have heard talk that the previous standard illustration was based on a yellow feathered hen, which may be why the drawing was not quite up to size.

Thanks for the info on the National. It will be my first one, so it's good to have some names to look for on the place cards.

Cheers
Red

iaos wrote:Any idea of where in the Newcastle show will be?
Cheers Ian
According to this site:

http://users.tpg.com.au/anthonycwmak/canary/shows.html

13-Apr-13 SAT Newcastle / Maitland Canary & Cage Bird Club

Can't really find anything about the club other than it being in Maitland.
Canary

pm sent.
Red

The Victorian Canary Society Inc will conduct its 127th Annual Show and Bird Sale on 11th May 2013, at Mullauna College Cnr. Mitcham and Springvale Roads, Mitcham. All breeds of birds will be shown, and many breeds will be available for sale. Prices will vary with each breed of canary, and breeders will be available to answer any questions concerning bird husbandry. Sale and Show open to public at 1.30 pm.

All welcome.

Return to “Canaries”