Advice needed!!!

White Rumped and Black Rumped.
Includes Species Profiles.
maureen_g

I am a beginner and have made many mistakes. Three weeks ago I bought 2 pairs of DBs and put them in an aviary with a pair of zebs (eggs due to hatch any day), pair of stars (eggs in nest but not yet sitting), pair of WB goulds, and non-breeding painteds (the hen is too young). Well I didn't expect the DBs to do any breeding but I put in some upright branches and threw some dry grass so they could make a roosting nest. Well both pairs have made nests - one in a gouldian box and the other in a cane basket type nest - and both seem to be sitting on eggs. A few days ago I had checked and there were 3 eggs in each nest. Didn't know who they belonged to until I saw the DB go in there! Since then I don't go anywhere near the nests. The nests are all at he same high level in aviary and rather close. That part of the aviary has a quarter sheet of colorbond running vertically so most nests are quite secluded. But not the gouldian box being used by 1 pair which faces out into the aviary. Sometimes I can see a tiny face peeping out when standing outside! They aren't spending much time out in the flight any more but come out after I put in the seeding grasses and twice a day when I put the mealies in. They will brazenly hop onto the floor and eat the mealies whilst I am outside quietly watching. I am giving them 8 small mealies twice a day. Is this enough? They demolish them pretty fast. Is there anything else I should be doing or not doing? I don't fancy my chances of getting babies because the aviary is too small and the zebbies are there. But all seems well at the moment. They weren't supposed to do this!!! :crazy: :o :?
SamDavis

Hi Maureen.
Wow, off to a great start. It sounds like your aviary is a roaring success with that many birds on eggs so quickly. I wouldn't be concerned too much about the zebs, just make sure to remove the young ones as soon as they're independent so numbers don't explode. Once chicks hatch they'll devour heaps more live food and seeding grass but it sounds like you have it under control.
Cheers,
Sam
maureen_g

Thanks Sam. Then why am I such a nervous wreck? :crazy: :crazy: :think: Should I be giving them more mealies? How many can such a tiny bird eat!! They are about 1yr old and had built a beautiful nest in tea tree and laid eggs but abandoned the nest when parrot finches nested underneath them (for their previous owner). The pairs were also housed in separate aviaries. I feel a bit guilty that I was so unprepared for them to behave like this. I now have another aviary just today and can't put any birds in it because all seem to have eggs except maybe that pair of WB goulds. Even then I can't disturb any birds in that aviary because it might upset the DBs and stars. Oh dear! I might have to get more birds!!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do you have a safety door that the WB's can go into and be caught? If so that is the way to transfer them to the new avairy. Where they can then do their thing undisturbed by the other birds.
LML
LML
maureen_g

Yes LML I do have a safety cage and that sounds like a great idea! I do hope that they haven't eggs already but they do spend heaps of time in the flight but usually don't go into the safety area easily. Even as I'm tying the seeding grasses to the perch they are waiting very close by and will start on it sometimes before I've left the aviary! Even if they have eggs I'd be willing to sacrifice them just to have less birds in there so the DBs might have more chance of success in a less crowded aviary. The zebs also easily go into the safety cage but they might even have chicks even though I can't hear any. The male was carrying some poo the other day! Is that a sign of something?
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

maureen_g wrote: The zebs also easily go into the safety cage but they might even have chicks even though I can't hear any. The male was carrying some poo the other day! Is that a sign of something?
Usually from what I have found that means chicks are in the nest and he is cleaning the nest up.
maureen_g

DAouble Bars are still sitting tight! Whew! Decided to move the zebs and their nest with babies today to give the DBs a better chance of hatching out those eggs. Was very happy when the DB hen flew back into the nest as I was leaving the aviary. Also happy that the zebs settled so quickly and feeding babies often. The DB cocks are chasing each other around the aviary but the hens aren't out often. With a lot of luck there might baby DB babies in 4 days!!! Will I be happy if that happens!!! Also have 3 nests with gouldian babies!! My first ever babies!!! (apart from the zebbies) Sooo excited :clap: :D :crazy: :lol:
maureen_g

Well the DBs have me totally stumped! I thought the other day that one pair must have abandoned their nest as they were spending a lot of time out in the aviary. But they are still spending time in and out of it. Maybe babies?? The cock is still ferociously protective of the area with the other DB cock. Yesterday he was carrying a long piece of nesting grass up and down the flight and landed next to the hen and did a lovely little dance jumping up and down with the grass for quite some time. I was enthralled!! The other hen is staying put on the nest I presume as I can't see that nest but she is rarely out in the flight. It wouldn't seem as though the other pair has abandoned the nest as why would it be so well defended and still them spending time in there!! I really don't know what's going on!!! :wtf: :? :roll: :eh:
emmo

It sounds like you are doing great. Properly very patient to avoid nest inspections but my double-bars don't mind me checking their nests. I think you will be in for a pleasant surprise when finally little DBs emerge, already able to fly and even return to the nest. Good luck. Keep us posted.
COUNTRY CAPITAL

young doublebars in the nest sound similar to zebras when being fed, maybe not quite as loud though, so you will know soon enough.
my only advice would be to interfere as little as possible(no nest inspections).
once they fledge and learn to fly they will be ok.
i too would look to moving the zebras....understocking is the way to go.
:thumbup:
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.

Return to “Double Bar”