safe deciduous creeping vines for aviary use

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
Bmac27

What types of deciduous vines are safe for finches ?
I am looking for one that is multifunctional in that it can be used as a food source / nesting site / privacy screening if there are any around .
Any recommendations ?
Brad
iaos

Grape vine?
branchez

Potatoe vine.
Craig52

Bmac27 wrote:What types of deciduous vines are safe for finches ?
I am looking for one that is multifunctional in that it can be used as a food source / nesting site / privacy screening if there are any around .
Any recommendations ?
Brad
I know it's not deciduous but Honey suckle or Mulinbeccia??(maiden hair creeper) Craig
Mortisha

grapevine or a climbing rose would be the safest.

stay away from hoyas, wisteria, Clematis spp -they are toxic to animals and humans if eaten so i wouldn't risk it with birds just in case.

Wouldn't trust Japanese honeysuckle either

Here is a WA list
http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/impor ... plants.pdf

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets ... people.pdf
Bmac27

Excellent ... thanks a bunch guys
BrettB

Couple of good resources there.

I can not think of too many deciduous vines other than the ones mentioned.
There is an ornamental grape vine (no grapes) that wouldn't have the mess/ fruit fly problems of grapes, but perhaps this is less of an issue in an aviary.

On a side note, I recently purchased a False jasmine( yellow jasmine Gelsemium spp ) and on doing some research found the pollen can be toxic to bees.
I decided not to grow it in the garden and contacted the nursery from which it was purchased. They informed me that there is no legislative requirement to advise on the toxicity of plants. I certainly think it is information many people would be keen to have at point of purchase. They made the point that so many plants are potentially toxic (such as if you eat them), but pose no threat under "normal" garden conditions.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Diane

The "non grape" grape vine is a nice plant, quite a vigorous grower too. We planted 4 across the pergola and its well covered after only 18months. It does attract either butterflies or moths not sure which but it gets some caterpillars that the local Blackbirds will eat.
Makes a good natural temperature guide too, after a couple of cooler nights the leaves start changing colour, so if inside a large aviary it would give a good early indication of the weather turning colder.
P1010026 (480x640).jpg
P1010025 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
claudicles

Does anyone who has a climber planted over their aviary have problems with mouse control? I'd love to plant over mine for temparature stabilisation but I can't see how to stop the wretched meeces from zooming up it.
Finchy

Ooh, meeces, that's a good point :eh:.

I was about to suggest that you make sure to plant edible vines on the outside of the aviary, such that leaves poking through can be nibbled by the finches but that's all. Especially with a deciduous plant, finches will love those new juicy shoots in the spring and will actually prevent a plant from growing. Even vines that twine through the aviary wire will get killed as the fine shoots get nipped off by the finches.

Now I only keep fast-growing or hard-leaved plants inside the aviary, and try to keep edible ones just out of reach on the outside.

(I do a bit of a plants spiel half way through this video of my own main aviary: http://youtu.be/amktKfqcolg)

Return to “Types of plants”