Zebs or Stars? (warning - photo of dead chicks)

A place to ask about Australian Finches in general.
For example: Questions about more than a single species.
iaos

Hi all,

I found these two neatly place in the grit bowl in the feed station. They are either zebs or stars. I have a stronger feeling for one over the other, but I'll let you try and identify for me.

Cheers
Ian
IMAG1616crop.jpg
IMAG1617crop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

Zebs I reckon.
Craig52

One has a full crop the other hasn't so they were taken out in spite.I don't think the stars would do that so i reckon they are young stars. Craig
Shark

if you open their mouths they have specific markings according to one of Russell kingston's books (or perhaps it's another author, but seen it published)
____________________/\__________________________\0/________________________
Tiaris

I suggested Zebs due to the amount of down & young normal Stars have black bills & eyes at that stage. Stars usually just have a little white down on the head & a tiny bit on the body - Zebs have much more like the ones in the photo. Skin colour depends on mutation possibilities also. Due you have dilute/fawn/white Zebs or fawn/cinnamon Stars? Comparing the mouth markings with those in Immelman's "Australian Finches" would confirm it.
iaos

Thanks for your replies. Also in the aviary is a 3/4 coloured independent zeb cock and a pair of gouldians.

My first thought was zebs as I expect the stars chicks should be bigger than this. Also this pair of zebs has a bit of history in tossing chicks and only rearing 1 or 2.

I had a look in the mouth this morning. The markings were not exact for either stars or zebs but were closer to zebs.

Cheers Ian
iaos

Yes definitely zebs as they fledged a single chick a couple of days ago and the stars eggs never hatched.

The zebs aren't really breeding like zebs. Only getting nests of 1 or 2. If they don't perform any better in the next nest they might be moving on.

Cheers Ian

Return to “Non Specific Questions”