accidental hybrids

gomer

I thought I would start this thread to use a reference to help stop hybrids.Anyone can list how this accident may have occurred and what could have been done in hindsight to prevent this.I know this thread may stir some controversy,I defiantly do not condone hybrids in any shape or form.And lastly this can happen unintentionally to anyone and would have happened to many of us at some stage or in the future.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Brooksy

I know a common one is the (longtail, parson, masked combo). The one not sure on is the chestnut X pictorella. Ive noticed the pictorella isn't classified as a lonchura anymore but is this something to be watchful of?
gouldianpaul

Hi Goomer/Brooksy

I've noticed a lot of Hybrid Nunns being sold at Vic Sales recently as pure White Headed Nunns....as they have "unclean" coloring on their head they appear to be crossed with the black headed....so this practice is very frustrating for someone (like me) looking for pure white headed and pure black headed nunns.

Personally I think a lot of the accidental hybrids are actually caused by "lazy" breeders....It's not rocket science to ensure you keep parsons/long tails apart, the different forms of nunns, red/yellow siskins, etc, etc all apart....I feel most hybrids are the result of too many birds and not enough avairy space...but that's another topic all together.

Cheers,
Paul
Tiaris

Agree with that Paul. Also odd unpartnered birds left in breeding aviaries & incorrectly sexed "pairs" in breeding aviaries with nowhere else to turn but other species for a bit of action.
Tintola

Not a finch but interesting all the same. http://www.melbournebirdvet.com/fruit-dove-hybrid.aspx
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Craig52

I have seen a redbrow/painted hybrid,it looked so much like a beautiful firetail and also SaintHelena/star hybrids,the latter being the most agressive/bloodfirsty finches i had ever seen.
In both cases,the cock of each hybrid was the the only bird of the specie in the aviary. Craig
Tiaris

Didn't you have one of these too Tintola?
SamDavis

Not a finch, but I find the Cockatiel X Galah the most bizarre hybrid I've seen. Here it is on Youtube - Galatiel
gouldianpaul

this got me thinking about the trend within the dog trade to tailor make mixed breeds; ie cavoodle, spoodle....dog's my daughter is hounding me to allow her to buy at the moment....funny thing is these "muts" as they were know when I was a kid now have a premium price above the individual breeds they come from.... :eh: :eh: :wtf:

I agree with Sam...the cockatiel/galah is the ugliest bird I've ever seen....all these hybrids/cross breeds just sounds like a money making venture to me.

Just give me my finches in their original form.....opps I think i've just given the mutation haters amongst us some amo... :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers
Paul
firetail555

Tintola wrote:Not a finch but interesting all the same. http://www.melbournebirdvet.com/fruit-dove-hybrid.aspx
Colin walker spoke at our club last month and discussed this hybrid. he mentioned that ABK are looking into doing an article about it. I have emailed him to ask him not do this as it "justifies" other idiots deliberatly breeding hybrids. He has not responded.

I also emailed a guy "conure66" who advertised a Varied cock paired to a Musk x Purple crown as a pair and asked him not to do this as it causes all sorts of problems . His response was " If I didnt know who you were, I would tell you to >>>>>".

This seems to be the attitude of many. The Galatiel that was advertised claimed it was a mistake but the galah and the cockatiel were in love etc... Still wanted $2,000 though, "but its not about the money" hahaha.

Gees they are frustrating

Return to “Anything else”