accidental hybrids

SamDavis

firetail555 wrote:I also emailed a guy "conure66" who advertised a Varied cock paired to a Musk x Purple crown as a pair and asked him not to do this as it causes all sorts of problems . His response was " If I didnt know who you were, I would tell you to >>>>>".
Must have been the same bloke who was at Nowra Sale - I posted a photo of them - see Nowra Sale
gomer

In my short time of keeping finches 16 yrs.I have had this happen twice.The first time was about 15 years ago.This was a plumhead and a parson finch.Two single birds with no partner.lesson learnt.Cause obvious to a educated breeder not so much to a green horn.who has had no access to any information of hybrids

Second case.a colony of redbroweds even numbers.a pr of star finches in the same aviary.A red rowed dies.now odd numbers.The breeding pr of stars cock has a encounter with the now odd hen.result one hybrid and stars removed immediately.

In don't believe the lazy keeper fits all senerios.There is the uneducated green horn,and the unheard of hybrids.That is why we need to either educate the beginer or share the unheard of hybrids in this taboo subject.Even with gouldians the hens are known to cheat on ones partner be it with their own kind.As did my star cock even after raising successful clutches previous to his encounter.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
gouldianpaul

Hi Gomer,

Maybe my lazy bird keeper comment was a bit harsh...it was aimed at hybrids from the different nunns or such pairings as parsons/long tails....the obvious hybridisations....your examples would be much harder to pick.

Cheers
Paul
Tintola

Tiaris wrote:Didn't you have one of these too Tintola?
No, I do not have a hybrid of any description in my aviaries.

Edit. Oops, except one accidental Amherst X Golden pheasant. :oops:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
elferoz777

gomer wrote:That is why we need to either educate the beginer or share the unheard of hybrids in this taboo subject.Even with gouldians the hens are known to cheat on ones partner be it with their own kind.As did my star cock even after raising successful clutches previous to his encounter.

Agreed!

This is what I find quite difficult at times as a green horn. It is hard to get honest and supportive advice from people with a lot of knowledge without getting the criticism and carry on with it.

I am a member of a finch club that are very supportive in giving advice which has helped me quite a bit.

I understand the underlying theme behind reducing the production of hybrids.

I have seen superb parrot x princesses intentionally bred which as a former parrot keeper makes me quite annoyed.

The issue is you are targeting the wrong audience.

The guy(S) who breed the aussie finch and parrot hybrids to make money is not your typical bird keeper like ppl on this forum...nor are the ppl who buy these birds

The only influence this forum really has is to educate newcomers (like myself) so we don't keep closely related species together. Unfortunately there will be that shady person with jammed packed aviaries, fish tanks and aquariums trying to breed weird and not so wonderful concoctions all for the sake of a bit of cash

Note that I am focusing on the aussie finch side of this argument as I am sure you are all aware of my song bird mule interests...though I practice this to keep birds for my own enjoyment not to sell them for insane amounts of cash.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
zebman

These are a couple of shots (not very good ones though) that I took of a melba x fire at a bird dealers in 2005 outside of Melb.
Fire x Melba (1) (Small).jpg
Fire x Melba (2) (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

Well,hands up who thinks that's a pretty bird,not :thumbdown: just goes to show they can turn up anywhere and be sold as a pair to the unknown. Craig
matcho

Ladies and gents,
I bred birds as a kid many years ago. Read 40 plus. Javas, bengos, zebs. Nothing out of the ordinary. Only hybrid I heard of in those times was a canaryxgoldfinch (mule). Now for the last 5 or 6 years have got back into it. Have goulds, stars and painteds. Have had exceptional success with numbers and haven't seen any crosses. Please tell me I shouldn't or won't because of their differences species wise otherwise I might have to make an executive decision and separate them or build more aviaries.

Any advice would be appreciated. This has not even crossed my mind. I was aware that the parrot finches and goulds could be susceptible to crossing but wow from what I am reading just about anything is possible (within reason).

thanks

Ken.
mattymeischke

crocnshas wrote:Well,hands up who thinks that's a pretty bird
:wave:
I think it is a pretty bird. If I was out bushwalking and saw that bird, I think I would find it quite striking.
That doesn't mean it is prettier than nonhybrids, or that anyone should try to breed one, but it isn't ugly to me in and of itself.
matcho wrote:from what I am reading just about anything is possible
Possible, but unlikely if commonsense is applied. Think how often potential hybrid pairs are housed together for all the reasons mentioned above, yet hybrid offspring are really quite uncommon.

Don't mix similar, closely related birds, like OBs/strawbs, RCCB/BCCB, parsons/longtails, melbas/auroras, TCPF/BFPF, etc...

I think that when TCPFs were less common and more expensive, BFPF-TCPF hybrids were sold as TCPFs, and were of course infertile. This and similar stories go some way to explaining the antipathy towards hybrids that many forumites show.

The Gouldian-parrotie hybrids exist, but are not common despite those birds often appearing together in mixed collections in Australia. There is a theory that the Gouldian finch evolved from parrotfinches that were blown or flew across from Indonesia and hybridised here, and that the different head colours represent some residual genetic instability due to being recently evolved from hybrid stock. That is a whole 'nother story, though...
In Europe they fetch a hefty price, which suggests to me that they are not easy to breed.

IMHO, you are vanishingly unlikely to ever see an accidental hybrid of any combo of Goulds, stars and painteds.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Craig52

mattymeischke wrote:
crocnshas wrote:Well,hands up who thinks that's a pretty bird
:wave:
I think it is a pretty bird. If I was out bushwalking and saw that bird, I think I would find it quite striking.
That doesn't mean it is prettier than nonhybrids, or that anyone should try to breed one, but it isn't ugly to me in and of itself.

What :!: :!: :?: Mate its beak is too big for its body and also its legs,it looks like it needs to be in a side show for freaks.OH,i think this might be a toxic thing to say but beauty is in the beholder,or something like that. :lol: :lol: :thumbup: Craig

Return to “Anything else”