WA seeding grass

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
Craig52

I don't think so VR1Ton,if you look at that pic it only grows to 30-40cm high,the seed is fluffy but the seed on Natal grass is free of fluff,segregated and each seed is around the size of canary seed.
If there is still some around,which i doubt,i will try to get a pic. Cheers Craig
Tiaris

Just done google search & it does look more like natal than mollasses (same genus). Don't know if its the same as the one Poita is referring to though?
Craig52

Tiaris wrote:Just done google search & it does look more like natal than mollasses (same genus). Don't know if its the same as the one Poita is referring to though?
You are absolutely right Tiaris,i must find out what the one is that grows around here. Craig
Trilobite

I would also say almost without question it would be some red natal - it can go from ~50cm -120cm around here, and can vary from deep maroon to almost white when it is mature.
Cheers
Trilobite
Greg41

Hi Redwing, the moral of all this is to make sure you leave a camera in your car for future photos.

Cheers Greg :wave:
GDG
Brooksy

I think this is what crocnshas is talking about. The birds loved it i got 2 shopping bags full. Sorry about the photos being on their side it wouldn't let me upload them vertically
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

Yes thats it Brooksy,thanks for that,it saves me a drive.Was that taken recently? Craig :thumbup:
Brooksy

Yes about November/December just gone. It was really easy to collect too, just grab the stem just below the seeds and pull your hand up grasping the seeds as you go, you end up with a hand full of seeds and no stem :thumbup:
Craig52

You can see that each seed is separate,non hairy and about the size of a canary seed.Diamonds go tropo on it and build their nests out of what's left of it when the whole seed head is fed. Craig
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Tiaris , the above pics are what I thought it was , like the velt grass. I have seen what redwing is referring to, I just thought it was a miniature version of the velt. the seed heads became more like flowers than seed heads.. pete

Return to “Types of plants”