WA seeding grass

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
Redwing

OK guys pretty sure once I had some names to start the google process that I've worked it out. The one I found the other day, looks to be red natal grass. It has "'conspicuously silky hairy spikelets" ie "Fluffy".
The one we all pick in spring and freeze that looks identical from a fast moving Getz is in fact Annual veldt grass (Ehrharta longiflora).
Just to confuse things even more with names is the one that some of us have purposely introduced into our gardens in shady garden beds. This one seeds all year round and looks nothing like the first 2. That seems to be panic veldt grass (Ehrharta erecta). Some google sites and images have much clearer images than others. I took some really clear photos yesterday of both the red natal and the (frozen) annual veldt grass but am still waiting for some photo downloading lessons from way too busy teenagers.
Last edited by Redwing on 04 May 2013, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
Trilobite

G'day Redwing, just a thought if your really wanting to confirm a positive id (an this goes for most states and territories) is to take a whole specimen (yes whole - from roots up) to your local herbarium, they usually do it on the spot or if not, they take it and get an id for it a bit later - generally at no charge - well at least the Brisbane one does.
If your really keen you can press the specimens throughout the year and then bring in a whole batch for the same process. Sometimes the herbarium will take a collected item if it is a new strain or species as it adds to their collection.

Just a thought.
Last edited by Trilobite on 04 May 2013, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Trilobite
Diane

If you can get the pics from the camera onto the computer and attached to an email, send them to the forum address [email protected] and I can post them for you.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Types of plants”