fescue

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
Tiaris

They look just like army worms which devastate lawns in our area in Summer. Can be controlled with spinosad sprays (not poisonous) which are derived from natural soil bacteria.
E Orix

The picture posted by poitta of those grubs is what I think Ray Murray called Cut Worms.
He would harvest them in the long grass at his place.
He was absolutely convinced it was the only way he could get his Bramblings to rear their chicks.
I have fed them to my Softbills but our climate here is too dry for them and they are very difficult to find
when you need them in the breeding season.
Tiaris

Cutworms look like a large mealworm. Local ones here do anyway.
J_Robbo

Yeh they look like army grubs to me also, great at kill your lawn.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have also seen these grubs before. No name comes to mind, but quail and chooks do a great job of eliminating the sods.
LML
LML
Bmac27

Anybody happen to have a picture/description of the moth ?
Then we can nail it as to exactly what species were looking at ...
Pete Im glad they haven't got to your crop ... my windmills looking worse off today even more so .
I have dandelions also , very close to the 3 types of swamp grass that the buggers have attacked but they haven't been touched either , also cabbage , cos lettuces and kale and none show signs of attack ... that's why im kind of leaning toward a possibly contaminated nesting material and maybe some sort of loose symbiosis not unlike the humble cabbage moth and cabbage /lettuce .
Theres no way the materials been irradiated as I pull heaps of viable seeds from the pack... hope it stays that way , the birds love the arundella (?) At least thats what I think it is ... has a sweet scent and can be smelled from meters away , and windmill ... my diamonds eat it like its going out of fashion !!!
E orix ive seen similar to the cut worm Tiaris described but these guys are more like a spit fire , just not in mass numbers like the spit fires .

I really should have started a new thread for this one hey Pete ... my apologies :oops: :)

Cheers for the input guys , appreciate it .
Brad

Return to “Types of plants”