fescue

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

So I don't hijack redwings topic.

Has anyone tried using tall fescue for its seed. I seem to have some seed from a former golf course I worked at in my possession and was wondering if it was worth a try.. pete
mattymeischke

G'day, Pete.
Tall fescue can cause toxicity in grazing animals, so my first reaction was that it would be a bad idea.
After a bit of reading, though, it seems that it is a fungus that grows in the grass that causes the problem.
Clean seeds should not have this problem.

So, I would let the birds have a little and see how they go.
If they like it, I can't see any problem.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Tiaris

I've used fescue in grass seed mixes for finches. No problems & it gets eaten.
Pete Sara

Ok I may plant some to harvest the see, as it may contain fungicide on for storage and take it from there, thanks Guys.. pete
Bmac27

Hey Pete ,
Didnt want to hijack red wings thread so im going to hijack yours :lol:
I saw that you were trying with the swamp grass .
That wouldnt be AVIONE brand would it ?
If yes then I got it going from the same stuff (so much for irradiation).. ended up with 3 different types out of it , windmill , swamp and a type of miniature panic that im unsure the name of .
You will need to protect it as we have a type of spit fire caterpillar over here that gets in under the soil and destroys the root system and eventually kills the whole plant .... its odd as theses are the only grass types affected so im hoping the nest material wasn't contaminated with the eggs of the moth .
I lost my original strains at the end of the summer due to the buggars and have to start all over again , will most likely lose the mini panic as I only had 3 or 4 seeds that were viable .
They then go into chrysalis form and then the moth starts the cycle over .... pain in the butt.
I tried everything to eradicate them except for pesticides and nothing worked .
Also have guinea grass , phalaris , and a few other types of grasses seeds if you're chasing any new types ... all viable , all consumed by my lot .
If you're interested ket me know .
Brad
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm assuming the cattapiller is not suitable as bird food?
LML
LML
Bmac27

finchbreeder wrote:I'm assuming the cattapiller is not suitable as bird food?
LML
Unfortunately no finchbreeder ... they weep a greenish ooze from the mouth when threatened .
I have pictures of the culprits but cant load them to the thread for some reason .
They are roughly inch and a half to 2 inches long ... and splatter nicely on concrete :twisted:
I was just out pottering around a few minutes ago and found half a dozen more in my windmill grass ... so it doesnt look good for that now sadly , it is a huge favorite of my diamonds.
Ive sent Pete an email of the caterpillar and the damage done to the windmill . Oddly it is right next to lush green Veldt Oats that have not been touched in any way .... possibly a symbiotic relationship between the pillas and grass so I will probably have to abandon them for now just to kill of the moth and pilla life cycle and start a new in spring .
Brad
Pete Sara

here's brads pics...
brad 1.jpg
brad 2.jpg

Must go and check my crop of swamp grass . Mine is in the walkway of the aviary all my other grasses are out in the roo proof fence and don't have issues with bugs . Thanks for the offer but I have more than enough grasses here at the moment... pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bmac27

No worries Pete .
Cheers for chucking the pics up .... and sorry for jacking in on your thread mate :)
Will have to tee up a day and maybe get out your way to catch up hey .
Fingers crossed these turds aren't infesting your crop also .
Tell tale signs are small dung pellets in mass clumps and tunnels in the under growth . You'll find them (hopefully not ) just below or on the surface . Pupae are under the surface roughly up to inch deep .
Good luck mate
Brad
Pete Sara

Brad I have checked my crop / pot of swamp grass today , no ill effects
020.jpg

But I have seen those grubs before, I cant remember if they were on dandelions / cape weed. Could be what bought them in...Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Types of plants”