One legged Gouldian

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My Cuban hen was bitten on the foot about 4 months ago by a mosquito I would say looking at the bite. Tried cleaning and disinfecting the foot, but the bite was right on the ball of the foot. And the foot slowly went black and died. The little hen was then struggling to perch and getting grass caught on the foot. So I bit the bullet and cut the foot off at the ankle. She is getting around beautifully. So much so that unless you knew she did not have a foot you would not guess.
LML
LML
shaunh

Well I'm pleased to say my first procedure as dr Shaun the amputee doc, has been a success, my hen is thriving once again!! Whilst none of the cocks seem to be interested in a one legged mate, she is definitely on the look out for a mate haha
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My cuban girl lost her mate (old age), and now has a new boy and they are making a nest. So I will find out how they go.
LML
LML
mary jane

My male Gouldian recently cut his toe badly with a piece of string while making a nest. His rear toe now faces forward, so does him no good for perching:( I've not been able to get oral antibiotics in him per vet' recommendation. I don't think it remains infected, but now I see a "pimple" on that leg. He doesn't use it. Should I take him out of private flight cage and put him tiny hospital cage? May be able to catch him more easily and force the oral antibiotic into him.
Please offer any advice!
Mary Jane
mary jane

My Gouldian injured his foot and his back toe is now facing forward, so that he cannot use that foot to grasp the perch. It looks a bit swollen and may be painful, per the Vet. He rarely puts that foot down on the perch. It has been 2 weeks. Vet wants me to decide whether to remove the toe:( I think I should because I fear there is pain. It is very difficult for me to administer the pain med or the antibiotic, because it is so stressful to catch him and get his tiny mouth open:(
Does anyone have any advice on whether to have the toe removed?? if I do, I Must administer antibiotics!! I can handle the stress but fear it takes a toll on him:( Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”