Tri-coloured or Mosaic Bengalese?Can any Canary People Help.

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Aussie_Bengo

Hi All,

Is there a mode of inheritance for a true Mosaic Canary if it in fact a phenotypic (real word?) mix of both parents mutations.
I am very curious about this because in Bengalese there is a Mutation documented semi-regularly overseas called a Tricolour Bengalese that displays Chocolate Ginger and White all in the same bird.
Since there are vast similarities between the limited possible mutations in birds, I cant help but think that the Tricolour Bengalese is a Pied Mosaic Chocolate/Ginger. The history of this mutation overseas says that it is a sport and simply cannot be reproduced intentionally so I wanted to try and get some perspective from the only known Mosaic Mutation known to me in the Canary.

I have come across a person within a few hours of me that has one (to my shock) and further more he is happy to pass it on to me in case the Mutation can be established, however unfortunately I have my doubts.
Tricolour AU_AFF.jpg
Being a Bengo person, you can imagine that I am very excited that this Mutation has popped up in Australia and doubly excited that I'm going to be able to work with it.

Thanks for any feedback.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

AB,i'm sorry i don't know about the inheritance of that bird but it is a very nice looking mutation,like tortose shell in cats of which i think can only happen in females.Is that bird a hen? :thumbup: Craig
Tiaris

Is the picture the Aussie one or OS?
Aussie_Bengo

Thanks Guys.
I wont know the sex till i get hold of it. The picture is the current one on Australia NSW.
Diane

Found this article on Canaries
http://www.cageandaviarybirds.co.uk/can ... saics.html

Good luck with the Mosaic/Tricolour Bengalese its a lovely combination of colours. Let us know what happens!
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Beautiful. Sincerely hope you are able to reproduce this colour/variety. The Tortiseshell cat is allmost always, but not always female. Males have been known to occur. From what is said in the Canary article, it is possible to surmise that it is more likely to be a sex linked recessive (tortiseshell cats too). So your bird is probably a hen, in which case you should ideally pair her with different cocks each season, and then pair the half sibs together to get the gene to show up. This will of necessity be a long term project. But for a dedicated Bengo lover like yourself should just be the perfect challenge.
LML
LML
arthur

What you are forgetting is that females in mammals are XX . .

And in birds are XY
Tiaris

I'd get it DNA tested to verify its sex first.
If it is a hen, the suggestion to pair it to more than one male from more than one bloodline is definitely the way to go.
If sex-linked recessive, this would produce males split to mosaic.
These can then be paired to separate unrelated hens from a variety of genetic origins to produce young mosaic hens from a reasonably wide genetic base. These mosaic hens can then be paired to the split cocks to produce colour in both sexes of progeny.
A 3 year plan to do it right.
Fingers crossed for a sex-linked mode of inheritence as this would allow you to produce known genotype young all the way through establishment.
Good luck.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"What you are forgetting is that females in mammals are XX . .
And in birds are XY"
It is true that I did not give this any thought. :whoa:
It is also true that they could still both be sex linked recessive. Just the other way round in mammals to birds. :whoohoo:
And the way they show up would indicate that this is probable. :eureka:
LML
LML
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Does the person you are getting this bird off have the parents too? And/or any sibs? If so I would be trying to buy them too. That would give you a head start on the genetic establishment of this type. Cause you could continue to breed the parents together. And breed the sibs to other outcrosses. And the young of sibs back together...................
LML
LML

Return to “Mutation Finches”