Red Headed Parrot finch mutation-mutation???

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
monotwine

The colour seems to have kept much the same. I have not noticed a remarkable difference i.e. more seagreen or more normal feathers since their last moult.

If it is a sex linked gene, like Seagreen is, then all the "normal" birds I sold off are probably splits. But that is a guess. The only way to tell is to breed more, pair up young and see what comes out of it. Since I'm not too keen to start off a gene line of siblings, I will try first by out-crossing with unrelated seagreen & SG split males to broaden a gene pool before I try cross offspring.

All theory, now to see if any of the young that come out the nest A) survive B) have any markings to write home about! Have all my birds in breeding mode but only 3 pairs in the nest on eggs.

I bred plants for years and if I learnt one thing from it... crossings never deliver what you expect and hardly ever deliver what you want :roll:, but occassionally - very occassionally you get lucky.
Monique
Diane

monotwine wrote:I bred plants for years and if I learnt one thing from it... crossings never deliver what you expect and hardly ever deliver what you want :roll:, but occassionally - very occassionally you get lucky.
I understand that line all too well, one of my other hobbies is growing a plant you will probably know quite well, Clivia.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
monotwine

Diane yip very familiar with them.
Clivia breeding is a slippery slope. Once you start.... there is no stopping you, especially as there are now so many to choose from. LOL I used to work at one of the best Clivia breeders here and am still in contact with a lot. Lovely plants, but the results of crossings are so slow................................ blah the only down side.
Monique
Diane

monotwine wrote:Clivia breeding is a slippery slope. Once you start.... there is no stopping you, especially as there are now so many to choose from.
Oh how I know about that! Count is over 100 plants, only a few at flowering stage, with over 70 seeds waiting in the wings. Had to build a new shadehouse for them!
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Mutation Finches”