Green Avadavat working group

Bgould

Does anyone know if the working group for these birds is still together. I have found no current updates on their web page and it hasnt been updated since 2008. If not are their still breeders working with this beautiful bird.
Tiaris

There are still a few breeders trying to work with them but the birds aren't working too much themselves. Pretty much nil results outside of one bloke since about 2008 from what I've seen & heard. I'd love to add something which gives a glimmer of hope but fear they won't be with us much longer at all.
Ripley

I saw my first one, last weekend.

What a beautiful bird.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well I hope that the guy who is getting things right/has smarter birds. Can give some advice/swap some birds with those that are not doing so well. In the hope that by mixing the bloodlines/locations the birds get their mojo going a bit better.
LML
LML
Tiaris

Those that are not doing so well pretty much all got their birds from the bloke who is doing well. That's the main problem - they're getting very closely related. Any birds out there which are not related are most likely well beyond viable breeding age.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's a pity. Hopefully someone who has a pair or two (preferably breeding) will read this and ask you how to contact the bloke. We live in hope.
LML
LML
Craig52

I was under the belief that WA was the strong hold of these birds with a few being bred so is the one person who is breeding them in WA ? And if so,why aren't the people on the East coast combining there efforts with WA.
I suppose you are going to say they all came from WA,so that puts a spanner in the works for blood lines so yes,the birds might be doomed what a bloody shame. :thumbdown: Craig
Diane

How many birds are we talking about here? How many pairs would be needed to be considered to make a sustainable future for the species?
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Tiaris

crocnshas wrote:I was under the belief that WA was the strong hold of these birds with a few being bred so is the one person who is breeding them in WA ? And if so,why aren't the people on the East coast combining there efforts with WA.
I suppose you are going to say they all came from WA,so that puts a spanner in the works for blood lines so yes,the birds might be doomed what a bloody shame. :thumbdown: Craig
yes Craig, its the one bloke in WA & any birds young enough to be breeding age would have come from him.
Bmac27

If it is the same person then Ive seen this " 1 blokes" green avadavats and they are beauties , good breeders too .... pity the species is in such rapid decline in Aussie aviculture . Surely there must be fresh blood lines out there that are kept hush hush ?
I suppose we can only hope .... I'd hate to see them disappear altogether.

Return to “Green Avadavat”