Pekin Robin Help!!

dukem

I have a couple of Pekin Robins and the female laid an egg yesterday, today the egg disappeared I do not know if it was the male or female that ate it.
The feeding that i provide them is :
http://www.wilderstore.com/versele-laga ... t-1kg.html
http://store.birdiebitsnbites.com/catal ... cts_id=521
And some Mealworm and pinkies 12 of each every day http://www.sensas-futter.de/Groundbait/ ... c8n1nsj9p1
I give them some fruit like orange,strawberry etc...

Why they hate the eggs maybe lack of calcium ?
E Orix

You would need to give some more details before a real opinion can be sent.
Are they in the cage /aviary by themselves
Is there any cover for them
How big is the cage/aviary.
In general eggs are not eaten in the nest but eaten when ejected and break on the floor, this applies to a big number of species,
also I don't think it is a want for calcium just that they like to eat eggs.
To counter your Calcium concern just get an egg shell, bake it in an oven for a few minutes and put the half shells into the cage/aviary.
Pekin Robins will eat eggs, I have not seen them take eggs from a nest but I have seen them break and eat small finch eggs off the floor.
They are a specie that really prefers a quieter, concealed area for nesting especially first time around
I wish I had a chic raised for every egg laid.
dukem

E Orix wrote:You would need to give some more details before a real opinion can be sent.
Are they in the cage /aviary by themselves
Is there any cover for them
How big is the cage/aviary.
In general eggs are not eaten in the nest but eaten when ejected and break on the floor, this applies to a big number of species,
also I don't think it is a want for calcium just that they like to eat eggs.
To counter your Calcium concern just get an egg shell, bake it in an oven for a few minutes and put the half shells into the cage/aviary.
Pekin Robins will eat eggs, I have not seen them take eggs from a nest but I have seen them break and eat small finch eggs off the floor.
They are a specie that really prefers a quieter, concealed area for nesting especially first time around
I wish I had a chic raised for every egg laid.
They are in a aviary with another two birds (carduelis magellanica;carduelis cucullata both male). About the eggs i didnt see any eggshells on the floor.
Yes they have cover and vegetation the nest is very well camouflaged. The aviary have 4 meters of length, 2.5 meters of height and 3 meters of width.
Is my first year with this birds and i dont have any experience with insectivorous birds.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

carduelis magellanica is Yellow Hooded Siskin
and
carduelis cucullata is the Red Siskin

I have Red Siskins that will eat there own eggs which was the male eating eggs.So i removed the cock when eggs were laid and let the 2 hens raise the chicks as they are a breeding trio and seems to work.So I would keep an eye on the Siskins.
E Orix

I doubt that any Siskin would try to tip a Pekin egg out of the nest. It would most likely be too large.
If the pair of Pekins are young or their first nest they may fiddle about.
Just let them work it out, if the same trend continues after a couple of nests then there maybe another reason.
being able to build in a quiet area is a good start. Also they are not that happy about too much nest inspection either.
Just leave them alone when you only see one at a time there is a good chance that they are incubation.
After 10 days start supplying live food and slowly build up the quantity. If they have young they will be looking for live food all the time.
Craig52

I agree that breeding prs of pekins need to be in an aviary of their own no matter what size,my experience with them was in an aviary 3m x 3m x2.1m.Also in this aviary was 1pr Hecks longtails,1pr of gouldians and 1pr of blue face PF.In the 3 years i had these birds in the aviary,i only produced young gouldians.
The pekins built a nest and laid eggs and 2 young hatched and completely disappeared, no where to be found.Whilst watching these birds one day i noticed the pekins checking out the hecks and BF nests in the brush and to my horror they were pulling out eggs and unfeathered young and swallowing them whole.As the gouldians nested in a box,they could only put their heads in the hole but couldn't reach the young,hence that is why i could only breed gouldians in that aviary.
There was a 450mm x 450mm stacker box with a perch inside fixed 70mm from the bottom and at the very least,a kilo of mealworms at different stages and another box set up the same with crickets and yet the pekins still preferred finch eggs and young finches and i think their own young.
Beautiful birds as they are,imo they need to be setup and bred in aviaries on their own to get any real success. Craig
Bgould

I have had success breeding Pekin Robins housed with other finches and have bred the following this season with them, Stars, Sea green parrot finches, pictorellas, painteds, 60+ St Heleanas, Pintailed whydahs and Cordons. I could be lucky and have a placid pair but have found them to be of no problem to other inhabitants. I have witnessed the Pekins eating the follwing live foods and a lot is/was provided (especially breeding season for the robins). Crickets, moths (their favourite) mealworms, white ants and yes maggots were provided. But its still possible they took the odd egg/nestling of the other species if they wanted to but never seen this behaviour myself. But thats the enjoyment of breeding/keeping birds, is that every ones experiences and opinions are different.
dukem

I dont know if my pekin robins are youngs or not they dont have rings.
I read that the pekin robins eat eggs and young of other species, I got those males in aviary for lack of space
About the Pintailed whydah i ate them last year they eat a lot of eggs in another aviary that i have they eat about 20 eggs from this spicies: grey singers, amandava amandava, Pyrrhula pyrrhula, serinus hypostictus. I was so furious that i sell the couple for a cheap price in the next day.
Netsurfer

Yes, I also heard they will eat eggs and sometimes a day old finches, when they start doing that I would say it is best to try another pair. I have never kept Pekin Robins but am curious has anyone ever tried fostering the eggs to a Euro Blackbirds? Blackbirds are excellent parents and breeders, I have them breeding every year in my backyard and I even fed them Mealworms while they were sitting on their nest, they become very tame, male and female would take mealworms from my hand. They are pretty-much omnivorous just like Peking Robins, although I don't know do the Robins eat Earthworms?
dukem

My pekin robins dont eat Earthworms i try many times.
You have Euro Blackbirds living freely in Australia ?
What non-native species are out there ?
Here in Portugal there are areas where you can find non-native birds like : Estrilda astrild, Ploceus melanocephalus, Euplectes afer, Acridotheres cristatellus, Psittacula krameri, Amandava amandava, Lonchura malacca, pintail whydah, pekin Robin the last 3 species have small areas where they can be found.

Return to “Pekin Robin”