blue wren caught in Rat Trap

gomer

I thought I would share that unfortunately I caught my second wren in a rat trap a few days ago.

The first was in a snap tap about 6 months ago in my shed.Both wrens and redbrows come in if they get a chance foraging on spilt maggots or seed.I had some cheese in a snap trap for rats and the wren decided it would make a nice meal.Snap and dead wren.Out come keep wrens out of shed and discontinue snap trap program.

Second incident. Three cage type with flip doors along the veranda set for a few weeks.Count as of today 14 rats caught over the two week period and one wren.The traps have been baited with various meats with chicken bones the last type.The bone is on a wire and when the rat pulls the bone the door shutting behind it.The traps were in locations so as the dogs would not interfere with them eg behind bins behind the wood pile up high on boxes.The wren was caught in the one behind the wood pile.Unfortunately I had not checked the trap for two days. When i did I found a wren had decided to have a go at the chicken bone and had been caught in the trap.The wren had succumb to the stress and elements.Out come undecided maybe put them in a more secure position.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Brooksy

Wow who would of thought they would go in a rat trap, although they are very adventurous.
Tintola

The best solution is to place rat traps in a dark spot in the daytime, as most birds won't enter a dark area, but rats will as they are nocturnal.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Netsurfer

All you had to do is place a cardboard box over the trap with a big enough hole or holes for rats to get in. :rain:
Diane

Those mouse traps where the mouse has to push against the inward opening wires to get at the food and when the mouse has got through the wires close up just enough so that it cant get back out? Maybe something bigger/stronger might work?

Or a tin can smeared with peanut butter suspended over a large deep bucket of water, bird lands on tin, tin spins, bird flies off. Rat jumps on tin, tin spins, rat goes for a swim.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Anything else”