RFPF Genetics question

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
kimberley breeder

I have a pair of RFPF currently with a nest of 3 fledglings about 2 weeks old so feathers are starting to pop out of the pins. 2 look green and one looks seagreen. The pair is a Seagreen Hen and "normal" looking cockbird. My understanding is that in order for a seagreen to come from this pairing the cockbird must be split to seagreen?

I did this pairing on purpose to establish if the cockbird was in fact split rather than pure normal. I hope I made the right call in doing this.

Comments? opinions?

Any males from this pairing will be split for Seagreen right? Just want to make sure the genetics are appropriately documented should I sell any on.

Thanks ahead of time :)
Craig52

kimberley breeder wrote:I have a pair of RFPF currently with a nest of 3 fledglings about 2 weeks old so feathers are starting to pop out of the pins. 2 look green and one looks seagreen. The pair is a Seagreen Hen and "normal" looking cockbird. My understanding is that in order for a seagreen to come from this pairing the cockbird must be split to seagreen?

I did this pairing on purpose to establish if the cockbird was in fact split rather than pure normal. I hope I made the right call in doing this.

Comments? opinions?

Any males from this pairing will be split for Seagreen right? Just want to make sure the genetics are appropriately documented should I sell any on.

Thanks ahead of time :)
All of the above is correct,and the young seagreen is a hen,if any of the other two are hens,they will be normal but if they are cocks they are split for seagreen. Craig
kimberley breeder

Thanks for that! Im glad I understood the forcaster correctly. Genetics always sends my brain into a whirl! But it really is fascinating!!
Dimar

crocnshas wrote: All of the above is correct,and the young seagreen is a hen,if any of the other two are hens,they will be normal but if they are cocks they are split for seagreen. Craig
if father is split seagreen and mother is seagreen, then half of male offsprings can be seagreen (and the other half split seagreen), therefore the young seagreen in the nest could be also a male.

ciao
Dimar
Finchy

Another way to say it is...

- All males carrying one Seagreen gene (from either parent) will look Normal (but are split).
- All males carrying two Seagreen genes (from both parents) will look Seagreen.

- All females carrying one or more Seagreen genes (from either or both parents) will look Seagreen.

So 100% of the female offspring from this pairing will be Seagreen, regardless of the father's genetics.
If the father is Normal, all of the male offspring will appear Normal (but are split).
If the father is split, 50% of the male offspring will appear Seagreen.

An easier and faster way to test whether this male is split would have been to pair him with a Normal female. If he is Normal too, then all babies will look Normal. If he is split then 50% of the female babies, or approx 25% of the babies overall, will look Seagreen.
SamDavis

Finchy wrote:Another way to say it is...

- All males carrying one Seagreen gene (from either parent) will look Normal (but are split).
- All males carrying two Seagreen genes (from both parents) will look Seagreen.

- All females carrying one or more Seagreen genes (from either or both parents) will look Seagreen.

So 100% of the female offspring from this pairing will be Seagreen, regardless of the father's genetics.
If the father is Normal, all of the male offspring will appear Normal (but are split).
If the father is split, 50% of the male offspring will appear Seagreen.

An easier and faster way to test whether this male is split would have been to pair him with a Normal female. If he is Normal too, then all babies will look Normal. If he is split then 50% of the female babies, or approx 25% of the babies overall, will look Seagreen.
Sorry Finchy but I'm sure that is not correct. Dimar is right in his correction of Craig's comment.
Sexlinked mutations are held on Z sex chromosome. Cocks are ZZ, hens ZW. Hens always pass a W to their daughters so they can NEVER pass a sex linked mutation to their daughters. It is ALWAYS the dad who determines whether daughters recieve a sex linked mutation.
The two possibilities in this case are:
1. Split cock to seagreen hen = 25% split cocks, 25% seagreen cocks, 25% normal hens, 25% seagreen hens
2. Normal cock to seagreen hen = 50% split cocks, 50% normal hens
In this case there is a seagreen chick therefore the cock must be a split, but we can't tell the sex of the seagreen chick.
kimberley breeder

Thanks for clarifying SD- when I went back and double checked my plug ins for the forcast it had the SG comeing up as a hen or cockbird with any males being split for SG. Thanks for everyones input!
http://www.finchbreederdatabase.com/php ... cies_id=32

Return to “Mutation Finches”