Unusual budgie

flap

While looking on Gumtree for a budgie to tame for our son, have come across this picture. The bird is like none I have ever seen in a budgie. Unfortunately it has been sold. I like unusual looking animals and as we would not breed from it it would not affect the gene pool. I am curious to get people's thoughts on this bird's colours. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flaP
E Orix

It's a long while since I kept budgies, from memory it's either a recessive pied or a pied bird.
From a quick look it would be fine to breed from. They are not uncommon.
I am sure there is a Budgie breeder within our group who should be able to assist
flap

Thanks E Orix. I have not had budgies before and have never seen any like it around pet shops etc.
flaP
nswchainsaw

He is a Yellow Face Cobolt Dominant Pied.
Garry
E Orix

Thanks C/S it's so long since I have kept Budgies.
In my early days I actually made the money to build up my collection with 20 breeding pairs of what we called Gay Pieds
I think they are now called recessive pieds.
Those birds made more noise, mad more mess and ate more seed than the rest of my collection.
But did they breed.
Red

flap wrote:I like unusual looking animals and as we would not breed from it it would not affect the gene pool.
I don't think many would take issue with the breeding of colourful pet type budgerigars. Most pet budgerigars are considerably different from wild type budgerigars anyway.

To my eye, he might be a Yellow Face Violet Dominant Pied.
Last edited by Red on 29 Jun 2013, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Finch_Breeder

Got one exactly like that :thumbup:
Birds I own/have owned: Budgerigars, **Zebra Finches**, **Star Finches**, Canaries, Diamond doves... Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested 'too
-Mike-
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The face looks like a cream face to me. There are multiple shades from Australian Golden face (really deep yellow) to creamface (cream) with a couple of types of yellowface in between. And this guy is pale. I would agree most likely Cobolt blue, depending on how true the pic colour is. Dominant pied, possibly with banded pied blood depending on how the front looks. Has possible breeding potential, but as the baby banding is still strong on the head too young to say for sure.
LML
LML
flap

Thank you for identifying the type for me. I really like the look but will have to wait a few years. We ended up getting a violet one with the black banding on the head. A little ordinary looking for me but our little boy liked him. it is really tame already so from that perspective it was a good choice. :-D
flaP
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nothing ordinary about a true violet. They are something the rare breeders are trying to increase the numbers of, as they have been somewhat neglected in recent years.
LML
LML

Return to “Parrots”