Midwinter Surprise

Includes Species Profile
GregH

I was surprised this morning by two ruddy chicks on the floor of the aviary. Just under three weeks ago I found a tossed hatchling dead on the floor of an aviary housing Ruddys, Orange Breasts and Double bars. I could see it wasn't an Aussie but I've never bred Africans before so I immediately started to feed some mealworms and hoped I could could bring them through. Now that they've fledged I can see that they aren't orange breasts. I've brought the fledglings in tonight and put them under a lamp as it's a little too chilly for them but to get them this far on their first try is good news. Even if they don't survive I've got hope for the spring.
Canary

Greg

I can imagine your surprise and delight ansd seeing this surprise. Good luck with the chicks.
GregH

Thanks Canary. The bubs were very enthusiastic about getting into the aviary today - overnight they went from being ground based to flying when released today. They have a few white feathers which I take it is a nutritional problem but without green seed and parents that wont take the Passwells softfood mix I offer I don't know what else to do. Not too far until spring when things should be better.
Diane

Nice to find surprise babies, but as you said it can cause a bit of worry too.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Ruddie/Firefinch”