How long for cock Plummies to fully colour up

Includes Species Profile.
tonytoast

I had three Plummies leave the nest mid November last year and I was wondering how long the cock birds take to develop the patch under the beak. I thought they were three hen birds until about five weeks ago when I noted that one of them was getting darker feathers under the beak. I now have another one which is yet to develop darker feathers but I watched it crowing today.....surely they would colour up before now? Any thoughts?
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Plumheads around six months to usually be fully coloured up
SamDavis

It does sound like yours have taken longer to colour than normal. I find you can usually see a dark feather or two appearing under the chin after a month or two, but you need to have the bird in your hand - hard to pick from a distance. Or just sell them quick while they're still hens! :lolno: :lolno:
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I know its a long wait. But when I had plumheads I would wait till the next clutch started to colour to be 100% sure. ...pete
tonytoast

Sam, yep me thinks it is longer than normal. The joke will be on me as I have been actively trying to find an unrelated cock to go with the "hen" (as opposed to selling her/him).

Pete, the parents are hunting for a nest site at the moment so the time lines you suggest are nigh....maybe have to be a little more patient.

Return to “Plumhead”