Unusual Zebra Finch hen - what type of mutation?

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Finchy

I have a Zebra Finch hen which I initially assumed was some kind of low quality inbred male - but no, she's a little honking hen who lays eggs and raises babies with her hubby...

What's odd is that she has feint apricot-coloured cheek patches blended through her otherwise normal-looking grey feathers. Up close I can also see flecks of chestnut feathering in her cheek patches. She also has feint, thin, apricot-coloured speckled flank markings - similar to a male, but only just visible.

Yes, I know you want a photo. I will eventually do that. In the meantime what do you make of this?

Ta :)
jluna

drag king? (opposite of a drag queen...) :lol:
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like it could be a red? I'm not really familiar with zebby mutations, but for memory reds have cheek patches in hens
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Aussie_Bengo

Jayburd wrote:Sounds like it could be a red? I'm not really familiar with zebby mutations, but for memory reds have cheek patches in hens
I believe Jayburd is correct. Red Chested hens have a light gingery colouring to the cheeks.

Cheers.
casehulsebosch

The Dutch zebra finch club conducts the largest zebbie show in the world every year.

Under is a link to their site.
Don't expect you to take a speed course in the Dutch language but in the third column down on the left hand side of the website are several links to photographs. And as a picture tells a thousand words, i will shut up and let the pics do the talking.

Hopefully the pics are of some help in establishing which mutation you have.

http://www.nederlandsezebravinkenclub.nl/

cheers, Case, NT.
Finchy

Holy mother of God! :shock:

Case, you've opened the gates of Zebra Finch heaven! :D I'll be back to you in about...3 hours.
Finchy

[...wipes drool from face...]

Jeepers, there are some good looking Zebbies on that site! Surprisingly, not a one that looks like my girl. Next time I go in the aviary to catch some birds for sale I will take a photo of her up close. I don't want to disturb them unnecessarily so it may be a while.

In the meantime, I have a male in my community that looks exactly like this (randy little) fella: https://picasaweb.google.com/1136612980 ... 0343560498. He's such a sweet looking bird. He has never taken a wife but I would love him to, if he isn't too old! So I plan to pair him up in separate quarters with two or three hens to choose from. Who should I pair him with? I have:
- Normal
- Black face
- Marked White
...and Pied, but that's a bad idea, right? I assume Normal is the best way to go, but if I don't have a good enough Normal hen without suspected splitting to Pied, what's my next best bet? Marked White?

Or does anyone have a nice...um, Silver??? or whatever he is...hen to pair him with?

Ta :)
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He is very nice and I believe a dilute. Which is recessive, so to a normal, then to another normal.
LML
LML
AMCA26

Dilute Blue is Dominant. Silver or Dilute Blues pair to a Grey.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So if I breed a dilute blue to a normal I will get? Remind me. My head is not working right now.
LML
LML

Return to “Mutation Finches”