Trial run? PC nesting

flap

We have a young pair of PC lorikeets, approx 12 to 18 months old. They have been going in and out of nest and when I checked the other day I saw 4-5 eggs but it doesn't look like they are sitting. if they were going to how long would they take before starting to sit? and do we just leave them to it, or clear eggs out of nest box at some point to let them try again?
this is our first attempt with lorikeets so no idea what to expect! Thank you for any tips.
flaP
VR1Ton

They should start sitting after the second egg. I never expect anything from maiden nests, & can sometimes take a couple of clutches to get it right. In saying that, I've seen PC's breed successfully at 9 months of age. Don't be in too much of a hurry to turf the eggs, let them "get a feel" for what they are doing, if nothing is happening in a week or so, start again. They lay every second day, so 5 eggs will be at least 8 days old, & should have been sitting for about 6 days, so after another week they should've started to show some veins. The first 2, if fertile, should hatch after about 20 days, then 1 every second day.
flap

Thanks VR for the info. We were away for most of that time but been back 3 days and they have both been out and about most of the time. I know they have to have a play and work out what they are doing.
Will give it another week or so then take the eggs out and let them start again. I am just so looking forward to a clutch before long! we are hoping to hand tame one of the chicks and keep it though given fruit diet certainly won't be able to have it in the house! :-( LOL!
flaP

Return to “Parrots”