A weekend away

Includes Species Profile
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great pics Gomer :thumbup: Thanks for posting.
LML
LML
gomer

COUNTRY CAPITAL wrote:thanks for showing us the pics gomer. :thumbup:
how many individuals did you see/photograph?
well done on getting within 10m of them....all that stealth practice from up north.
Its hard to tell how many there was all up as they may have been the same ones.After locating them I sat in my chair and waited for them to come to me. The most I seen at once was three. There would have been no more then eight individuals.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
firetail555

Craig52 wrote:
firetail555 wrote:If this is the same one, it is a grass I have fed in the past for many years which seems to have gradually expanded its reaches across the country. It took ages to find out what it was called and I believe this is the one referred to. The link below has some good photo's of the grass.

I used to cut the heads when in season and freeze them. They were still attached to the stalks when if thawed them and as good as new

PERENIAL VELDT GRASS: Small loose red seeds hang from the top of a slender, reed like stem. Seems to grow mainly in sandy soils and, especially when covering a large area, appears as a reddish carpet from a distance. Native to South Africa, it seeds mainly mid to late spring and early summer. Small birds relish the seeds

http://florabase.dpaw.wa.gov.au/browse/profile/347
Thanks for that David,around here it is known as red natal grass by all the birdo's.It's interesting how in some local areas where it grows that they name it and they stick to that name,maybe the name veldt grass becomes to confusing with all the other veldt grasses that are available around here. Cheers Craig

The same over here. We tended to call one of the veldt grasses, "algerian oats". stuffed if I know why, probably to differentiate between similar grasses as you say

Return to “Diamond Firetail”