A weekend away

Includes Species Profile
casehulsebosch

Beauty!!

One of my few missing finch species.

never saw them at the Gouldian count ;-)

cheers, Case
gomer

Jack I was about 10 metres away at most in some shots.

Craig not as far as Geelong for me It was in the Horsham area.

Kentucky I am not sure what grass it is but would also like to know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
SamDavis

Great shots. As finchman1 alludes to - in the first group of photos there is a huge difference between the black bar in the second and third photos. I don't think I've seen a captive bird with a bar as wide as the third photo.
Craig52

It looks like people ignore other peoples posts and only look at the pics,the grass is a type of Natal grass. Craig
firetail555

If this is the same one, it is a grass I have fed in the past for many years which seems to have gradually expanded its reaches across the country. It took ages to find out what it was called and I believe this is the one referred to. The link below has some good photo's of the grass.

I used to cut the heads when in season and freeze them. They were still attached to the stalks when if thawed them and as good as new

PERENIAL VELDT GRASS: Small loose red seeds hang from the top of a slender, reed like stem. Seems to grow mainly in sandy soils and, especially when covering a large area, appears as a reddish carpet from a distance. Native to South Africa, it seeds mainly mid to late spring and early summer. Small birds relish the seeds

http://florabase.dpaw.wa.gov.au/browse/profile/347
gomer

Craig52 wrote:It looks like people ignore other peoples posts and only look at the pics,the grass is a type of Natal grass. Craig
Another look with glasses on.

In thought it said natural. :thumbup:
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
USAFinch

Nice job! Funny, I saw some of these beauties at a show this weekend & really thought about buying some..........but I'm getting a bit crowded for space :frogg:
" You can't fix stupid"
COUNTRY CAPITAL

thanks for showing us the pics gomer. :thumbup:
how many individuals did you see/photograph?
well done on getting within 10m of them....all that stealth practice from up north.
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
BrettB

If it is the veldt grass in Firetail's link, then it is common around Perth and is currently seeding.
This is one of the better grasses for freezing and the finches love it.

I doubt the pictures were taken in WA though :lol:

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Craig52

firetail555 wrote:If this is the same one, it is a grass I have fed in the past for many years which seems to have gradually expanded its reaches across the country. It took ages to find out what it was called and I believe this is the one referred to. The link below has some good photo's of the grass.

I used to cut the heads when in season and freeze them. They were still attached to the stalks when if thawed them and as good as new

PERENIAL VELDT GRASS: Small loose red seeds hang from the top of a slender, reed like stem. Seems to grow mainly in sandy soils and, especially when covering a large area, appears as a reddish carpet from a distance. Native to South Africa, it seeds mainly mid to late spring and early summer. Small birds relish the seeds

http://florabase.dpaw.wa.gov.au/browse/profile/347
Thanks for that David,around here it is known as red natal grass by all the birdo's.It's interesting how in some local areas where it grows that they name it and they stick to that name,maybe the name veldt grass becomes to confusing with all the other veldt grasses that are available around here. Cheers Craig

Return to “Diamond Firetail”