Blue Breasted Cordon Bleu

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
Rox

Hello,

I’m hoping someone on here can give me some advice or personal experience with these waxbills please. Everything I find online seems to refer to either the BC or RC Cordon Bleu’s, with little info being available for the Blue Breasted. Are the BB similar to the other CB’s or are there any special considerations I should take into account for them?

I currently have 2 males and 1 hen in my aviary (3mx2mx2m) with a mix of other passive finches. I lost the 2nd hen this winter unfortunately. The bonded pair have been sitting diligently for the last few weeks and I first heard the soft sound of chicks 28/09. On an assumption that they were at least 3 days old then, they will now be 23 days old. BUT there are no fledglings yet and the parents are still taking turns in the nest. I last heard chicks on Sunday 13/10 and while I haven’t had the chance to sit and listen since then, the parents are still brooding. Is it normal for CB’s to fledge late or is it uncommon? At what stage will it be “safe” to do a nest check to see if there are dead in the nest?

They are doing well on a standard diet of seed and fresh fruit/veg, as well as sprouts, fresh and dried herbs (they love it!), fresh grass seeds and mealworms. They also catch whatever poor critter that makes its way into the aviary.

Thanks in advance!
Roxanne
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hello,

Blue Breasts are long gone here In here In Australia and New Zealand.

But I think they are quite similar in husbandry needs to Blue Caps.I would remove spare male Blue Breast could be Interfering and Leave them sitting because most Cordon Bleus don't tolerate nest Inspections.Your diet Is fine.They would have fledged by now.They could have removed chicks and started on sitting on new eggs.

What others species are there In the aviary ?
Rox

Henry, thank you so much! Fortunately they are indigenous our side and avialable to keep and sell on permit. Beautiful little birds with huge character and vocal's, lol.

I have them in with a pair each of RH Parrot finch, Stars, Gouldians, Bengalese, GB Waxbill and 4 Fife Canaries that mind their own business. I am busy planning a 2nd aviary (5mx3mx2m) and will be moving the Parrot finches out, as they are rather boisterous compared to the others... I will probably move the spare male as well and try find a new hen for him.

Every morning/evening when doing feeds, I check under their nesting spot for any young or eggs that may have been tossed. Nothing yet. Do you think I should check in the nest for dead? They are young birds, now 11 months and this is their first season. I bought them from a breeder who does colony breeding with them outdoors in aviaries. I predominately feed dried mealworms, which they eat with gusto and give live worms once a week (dried is just easier).

Thanks!
Rox

Well after a long wait, I have my first Blue-breasted cordon bleu on the perch. Just the 1 chick but a good start for this pair, which are now 2 years old.

It's definitely one of the cutest fledglings I have had :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AMCA26

Nice. Cute with the little blue face.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.
Jenk

Hey congrats Rox...very cute little fella.
Jenk
roma9009

Well done. Excellent achievement
Rox

Thanks all!

In hindsight, I probably should not have expected much from them up till now due to their age (they turned 2 in December). Last season they just tossed chicks within days of hatching. But with copious amounts of mealworms, fed twice daily, they have it right now. I'm holding thumbs for a bigger clutch next time :)

An interesting side comment, these birds were aviary bred on termites. I have only fed mealworms for the last month, as my maggot supplier is upsizing his whole feeder insect operation and keeping all his stock to breed with. It has restored my faith in the humble mealworm :thumbup:
VR1Ton

Rox wrote:An interesting side comment, these birds were aviary bred on termites.
Probably why they threw young last season.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations to you and the young parents. Feeding birds on what they were fed and slowly introducing other foods tends to be the way to go if you can.
LML
LML

Return to “Non Specific Questions”