Budgie gender

flap

We have just got a young budgie as a friend for our male purple (more like sky violet) budgie. We were initially hoping for a boy but I am quite excited at the prospect of breeding if ends up being a girl. With the first budgie we were pretty sure it was a boy and were right. With this one, we thought a girl at first but been looking up on cere colours for pieds and now totally confused (it changes depending on whether it is dominant or recessive pied and I know very little about budgie genetics at this stage!).
Any thoughts on whether this is a boy or a girl???

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flaP
Craig52

Flap,i would say it is too young to sex as they are all that blue/pink colour at that age so time will tell Cheers Craig
Tiaris

With the few young pairs of budgies my daughter has, all the hens when young had the same white immediately surrounding the nostrils as with this one. My guess (uneducated on juvenile budgie sexing) is hen.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm with too young to tell by photo. Even though mother would be able to tell in hand any bird that is old enough to leave it's parents. If as it looks like it is a Danish recessive pied they are one of the hardest to sex young. If they are a pair for the young ladys sake do not let them have a nest before she is 10 months old, preferably not before her 1st birthday. And you would only get splits unless he is a split.
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lol if it bites really hard and draws blood...I would go for girl...males at that age don't bite hard at all...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

V6 this a generalisation, which while mostly true can be completely incorrect with some birds. They are like us, most fit the stereotypes and some go against the grain.
LML
LML
SamDavis

99% sure it's a hen - I'd put money on it.
flap

Thanks for the feedback. And FB thanks for identifying the possible specific breed. All the owner said is that mum is purple and dad fully white and the others in its clutch were all sorts of colours. The male we have from a purple dad and possibly green/yellow mum, can't remember now. I realise that a photo can change the colour quite significantly and isn't too reliable.
VP6 - it is very tame and doesn't bite at all. Mind you neither did our male and now a couple of months on he can nip - though not too hard thank goodness.
Not planning on having them breed any time soon, she (if that what it ends up being) is only a baby, out of the next 2 weeks, so no rush in the near future.
flaP
TomDeGraaff

Given the barring on the head and the colour of the cere, I would reckon that this little birdie is still too young.
Tom

Return to “Parrots”